Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the forum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happened to the forum?

    The format seems to have changed or maybe I’m
    on the wrong page or something? either way I don’t
    like it.

  • #2
    It's been upgraded from the ancient broken-down version to the current version of vbulletin. George has a thread on the forum upgrade and he's working to debug the new version.

    Bet you'll like one new feature - we can now attach pics with a couple of clicks.

    Here's the thread George started: https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...e-site-upgrade

    -js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

    Location: SF Bay Area

    Comment


    • #3
      George can't fix what you don't like about it if you don't tell him...

      Comment


      • #4
        Ok thanks. I guess I just liked the format where you
        could view all the topics right down the line and it
        was wide. I don’t know maybe it looks different on
        a PC v/s my Iphone.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm getting used to the new format. I do miss the 'skip to first unread' button, but 'latest' gets close. I lost my senior status through it all though- apparently I'm now a junior, though I sure don't feel like it sometimes One funny thing is that the icon I have on my desktop now works, and it didn't before. I guess I just left it there and used a different shortcut, which now is the one that's defunct.

          The new page is pretty white now- but maybe there's a way I can change that. I'll have to look to see if that's possible. The old eyes want something more subdued.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darryl heinrich View Post
            I lost my senior status through it all though- apparently I'm now a junior, though I sure don't feel like it sometimes
            I believe that following the update, you created a new login "darryl heinrich", instead of reactivating your original login "darryl", established in 2003 and representing 11k posts.

            If it turns out that I am correct and if you still have access to the email account associated w/ your "darryl" login, then to resume using this login, just request a pwd reset for the "darryl" login ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post

              I believe that following the update, you created a new login "darryl heinrich", instead of reactivating your original login "darryl", established in 2003 and representing 11k posts.

              If it turns out that I am correct and if you still have access to the email account associated w/ your "darryl" login, then to resume using this login, just request a pwd reset for the "darryl" login ...
              Yes, that appears to be what happened. I'm showing that the darryl heinrich account was created on 10-25 and the darryl account was last used on 11-8. If you need me to reset your password and/or your email, just let me know via a PM or by emailing gbulliss(at)villagepress(dot)com.
              George
              Traverse City, MI

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not been upgraded but DOWNGRADED.

                Comment


                • #9
                  bleh, quit your whining people - this is an awesome resource and community and we're lucky to have it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Updates are inevitable. The old version was a bit clunky IMHO. Probably became a nightmare for George as I'm sure support for it was disappearing too.

                    The new version, after a few uses, is actually a lot easier to use both in typing replies and posting pics. Just work with it, and pretty soon, just like driving a manual transmission truck, it soon becomes "automatic".
                    S E Michigan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Stop whinging, the new forum is more secure and we will all get used to it in time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "What happened to the forum?", hell. My question is what is wrong with these old farts who can't assess the value of change? Is it fear - fear that they can no longer learn, fear that they must alter their behavior, a task of horrendous difficulty?

                        Whatever irritants you might find in the new software, they are irrelevant to the way it now handles photos. Simplistic uploading that even a child could understand and the photos are stored with the forum so they'll be available as long as the forum exists; no more Photosuckit blackmail or unheralded disappearance of offsite storage platforms. The new photo handling trumps everything.

                        Probably the old farts don't take photos. That would entail learning to operate a digital camera and they can't deal with anything more complex to operate than a hammer. I wonder if they drive motor vehicles or are they still using horses?

                        The thread concerning warning systems on new cars is another classic example. There the old farts were confusing warning with autonomous driving. But more astounding was them wanting to NOT have warning systems and return to the antiques of the 60's. You have to be a very highly refined version of stupid to not want as much warning while driving as you can get.

                        Rant over. BTW, before anyone asks, I'm 78 years old - an official old fart by age but, so far, not at all afraid of change. I love the new software and just recently bought a new Accord, primarily for the warning systems.


                        Regards, Marv

                        Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                        http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

                        Location: LA, CA, USA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                          "What happened to the forum?", hell. My question is what is wrong with these old farts who can't assess the value of change? Is it fear - fear that they can no longer learn, fear that they must alter their behavior, a task of horrendous difficulty?

                          Whatever irritants you might find in the new software, they are irrelevant to the way it now handles photos. Simplistic uploading that even a child could understand and the photos are stored with the forum so they'll be available as long as the forum exists; no more Photosuckit blackmail or unheralded disappearance of offsite storage platforms. The new photo handling trumps everything.

                          Probably the old farts don't take photos. That would entail learning to operate a digital camera and they can't deal with anything more complex to operate than a hammer. I wonder if they drive motor vehicles or are they still using horses?

                          The thread concerning warning systems on new cars is another classic example. There the old farts were confusing warning with autonomous driving. But more astounding was them wanting to NOT have warning systems and return to the antiques of the 60's. You have to be a very highly refined version of stupid to not want as much warning while driving as you can get.

                          Rant over. BTW, before anyone asks, I'm 78 years old - an official old fart by age but, so far, not at all afraid of change. I love the new software and just recently bought a new Accord, primarily for the warning systems.

                          Well said.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
                            Updates are inevitable. The old version was a bit clunky IMHO.
                            Clunky? It was a lot faster loading than this POS. I don't know what it's doing but it's very slow to load.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                              bleh, quit your whining people - this is an awesome resource and community and we're lucky to have it
                              I don't disagree that this is a great resource but there is still room for improvement--there's nothing wrong with discussing and
                              suggesting changes.

                              The thing I dislike the most about the new forum is the fact that, when you click on the "new topic" button and read a new
                              post and then leave it, the post disappears from your screen. If you've made a comment and then realized you wanted to
                              add something you have to go digging for the post before you can do that. And to my mind there's still way too much white
                              space on the pages--shouldn't be a difficult fix.

                              I visit both "Shop Floor Talk" and "Practical Machinist" on a regular basis and, in my view anyway, their formatting is better than
                              what we have on this site right now. A few more changes and this site really will be great...

                              Keith
                              __________________________
                              Just one project too many--that's what finally got him...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X