No announcement yet.

What happened to the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much tracking and ad pushing going on in the new software. You can't trace it because it puts itself to sleep. Just to see if t's really as fast as you guys claim, bring up the index page then walk away for a while. Come back to the PC and mouse over one of the topics. You'll see the tracking routines wake up with a small "Working" notice before the preview is displayed.

And no thanks. I don't need new "settings" or a new browser. All that will do is open my PC up to more shoe-horning. My PC is slow because of all the crap that's being blocked.

Comment

I just wish the "Go to first new post" button actually took me to the first new post. Every time I click on it now, it takes me to some random place on the last page and it's rarely the first new post.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        Too much tracking and ad pushing going on in the new software. You can't trace it because it puts itself to sleep. Just to see if t's really as fast as you guys claim, bring up the index page then walk away for a while. Come back to the PC and mouse over one of the topics. You'll see the tracking routines wake up with a small "Working" notice before the preview is displayed.
        I did... The "working" notice went by so fast that I had to try several times to even read it. I'm pretty sure it really does say "working"......it just flashes up there and is gone.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post

And no thanks. I don't need new "settings" or a new browser. All that will do is open my PC up to more shoe-horning. My PC is slow because of all the crap that's being blocked.
          The new software isn't about you. The old software made Village Press servers vulnerable to hackers. If the software hadn't been changed, you might not have any forum at all.

Comment

I have noticed that the "Go to first unread post" button takes me just a little bit past the beginning of that post, but it's certainly a minor issue. I certainly have no reason to complain.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
              I have noticed that the "Go to first unread post" button takes me just a little bit past the beginning of that post, but it's certainly a minor issue. I certainly have no reason to complain.
              That's because the toolbar with the reply button follows the window as you scroll down obscuring the top of the first new post.
              Last edited by RichR; 11-20-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I really enjoy the new format. I can stay logged in, photos are a snap to post, and while I don't enjoy change for the sake of change, this is a vast improvement over the old software. I thank George for all his diligence and attention in getting this up and running.

BTW, George, have you had time to look into restoring the display of member locations? The data must still be there somewhere.....

Dan
                Salem, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Danl View Post
                  BTW, George, have you had time to look into restoring the display of member locations? The data must still be there somewhere.....

Dan
                  Yes, I have looked into the location thing and found a potential solution that looks pretty easy. However, I do not have all the permissions needed to set it up, so had to turn it over to IT. They said they would get to it, but weren't sure when. Our magazines are a tiny part of this company and the board falls a little behind clients that bring in millions per year. I'm hopeful we will get it back, but can't say when.

I also have a work order in at vBulletin to see about letting registered users set their own styles/colors. It's something that they should be able to do, but we have not been able to get it working. Hopefully it will happen so that each user can set a style that works for their eyes. Like the location display, the timing of this is completely out of my control.

George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    Some of you guys complaining make it sound like you/we have rights regarding this forum. Nope. It is free and no one has to spend a penny with Village Press to use the forum. My hat is off to George for putting up with a lot of us......not me of course.....I am one of the nicer guys on this forum!
                    Well said. It is free and they still bitch about it. Some people are so ungrateful for what they have. Maybe they should pay hundreds of dollars a month and start up a forum for us to use for free.

Comment

I had a webpage. it got hacked before it was published. some whiner ratted me out for saying that a certain well known can't be a has been because he never was, got the job because his daddy was an actor "achieved drug parity with Charlie Manson, had the politics of Charlie Cong and has the facial range of Charlie McCarthy" I would prove it to you if he was still working.

it's a monster job to run a website. if you haven't tried, and you knock it, don't expect cheers and hurrahs from those who have tried it.

Comment

Don't worry, be happy. This still stays the best site I ever joined and is thankful for George making it happen.
                        A recent survey revealed that only 5% of a group/community has a real positive attitude. This 5% possesses the qualities of leadership, extreme passion, the inner power and ability to take action to change a system, etc. The following 10% is referred to as “opinion makers” and individuals who talk sense, have the experience, perspective and the ability to give direction. Sadly, to say they are normally well functioning and qualified individuals, business owners and managers but not WILLING to stick their necks out or to be positive.
                        The rest are referred to as 'sheep' - the negative, complaining and

Comment

The fact that EVERYONE can now post pictures easily is worth it just for that! I fully expect more projects to be posted again. The whole Photobucket fiasco put a huge damper on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            The fact that EVERYONE can now post pictures easily is worth it just for that! I fully expect more projects to be posted again. The whole Photobucket fiasco put a huge damper on this forum.
                            X’s 2 on that.

Comment

I am glad the site was updated and revamped. Home Shop Machinist is my go to site for machining info. The new format is very pleasing to these 69 year old eyes. For the most part [ 99 percent ] of the time people here are very nice and helpful. WELL DONE! to the web admin and maint people.

Comment

Well, I see more and more who share my opinion that the site is just fine, with maybe a few quirks, but as far as the big picture, JUST FINE.

Good work getting it working in the new format with hardly a hiccup in the process!

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X