Good grief, I drug another lathe home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good grief, I drug another lathe home

I might actually be able to make room for this. South Bend Model A. Had to take it apart to move it, as there was no one there who could help me. Last day of a family run estate sale. Bargained it down to $275. I figured the taper attachment is worth that, no brainier. All the gears are good. All the parts are there except the cross slide casting that the taper slide takes the place of..It was nowhere to be found. It's just been sitting forever. Has the 42" super short bed. Might be handy having a small lathe for little stuff. Clean it up and see how much the ways are worn. Time will tell.

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
    ..... All the parts are there except the cross slide casting that the taper slide takes the place of..

Congratulations. Looks like a nice project that will offer hours and hours of fun and challenge. ...and yield a useful piece of equipment at the end.

I don't understand the above statement. My lathe experience is limited, but I think of a taper slide as an addition to, not in place of the cross slide.

Comment

I wouldn't expect to find an alternative cross slide if it has the taper one. Why would you want to replace it when you can just undo the slide. In the UK there are often plain slides on ebay where people have fitted a T-slotted slide. Don't sell - zero use except as iron stock for something else.
      Anyway nice find. I was due to help move a Boxford today but it has been put back to next week.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
        [/U]

Congratulations. Looks like a nice project that will offer hours and hours of fun and challenge. ...and yield a useful piece of equipment at the end.

I don't understand the above statement. My lathe experience is limited, but I think of a taper slide as an addition to, not in place of the cross slide.
        I am not that familiar with these, but from what I've seen of taper attachments for sale, the cross slide casting piece with the long slot takes place of the original as part of the taper attachment. I could be wrong though. I'm wrong a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
          I wouldn't expect to find an alternative cross slide if it has the taper one. Why would you want to replace it when you can just undo the slide. In the UK there are often plain slides on ebay where people have fitted a T-slotted slide. Don't sell - zero use except as iron stock for something else.
          Anyway nice find. I was due to help move a Boxford today but it has been put back to next week.
          It moves with the screw, I see. I though it would be free just for cutting tapers for some reason. Again, I'm not familiar with these, but I'm sure I will be when I'm done. I'm still putting a mill together, so this will have to wait.

I can see were this is heading. Adding things to my shop is kind of addicting.
          Last edited by junkaddict; 11-17-2019, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Ok, I was not understanding. Sounds like that casting took different forms: ...with , or without taper atchmt capability.

Comment

Oh fer cryin out loud,,, yet another "stray" you know their not like lost puppies, they will survive out in the cold without any food...

Comment

The same thing keeps happening to me....got to figure out what's causing it.

Comment

Sheesh, what a total fool (moron ) the original poster is, --- ‘drug a lathe’, what did the idiot do, inject it with heroin ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

Comment

Nice score, looks like you have everything to me. I'm just wiring up my heavy 10 tonight.
                    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                      Nice score, looks like you have everything to me. I'm just wiring up my heavy 10 tonight.
                      If I should find myself a Heavy 10 in decent shape for a decent price at any point in the future, I will be bringing it home to replace my current Taiwanese lathe.

Comment

you SUCK I've been trying to score like that for 2 years now.... congratulations! hope it works out OK for you! I'm hoping to find a model B next year probably.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          Oh fer cryin out loud,,, yet another "stray" you know their not like lost puppies, they will survive out in the cold without any food...
                          Strays are my favorite. A little love, a few beers, some lipstick, a nice dress, and let the magic happen.

Comment

Originally posted by greenie View Post
                            Sheesh, what a total fool (moron ) the original poster is, --- ‘drug a lathe’, what did the idiot do, inject it with heroin ?

Ahem. JA used drug as a verb, not the noun that you seem to be bothered by.

I'm guessing you're too young to remember Dizzy Dean, a great and eccentric baseball pitcher, later a broadcaster. "He slud into third base."

Just a friendly suggestion: if you want to get into pedantic pissing matches, this is not the right place. There are many members here who, if sufficiently provoked, will have a go at ripping you to shreds.

Not a threat, of course...

-js
                            Last edited by Jim Stewart; 11-17-2019, 10:12 PM.
                            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by greenie View Post

Ya know, I caught that right after I posted it, but it won't let me go back and edit the title. I just write like I think sometimes. But thank you though for pointing it out, dick.

Comment

Working...
                              X