No announcement yet.

Good grief, I drug another lathe home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and I'd like to point out, for the record, that JA is neither a fool or a moron. (They are not synonyms.)

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

sweet find, congrats! So you'll have the resto finished by next week then?

Comment

A nasty case of nevergotenoughkititus completely incurable, I have it too.

Comment

You mentioned initially '42" super short bed'. My Boxford is about that, as in total length of casting ending up in only about 2ft between centres. Are there some really long ones in the SB range, like 48" between centres?

aaaargh, edited typo before I get torn apart

Comment

Andy Lofquist (MLA) now sells a kit which is a taper attachment bit that bolts to the outer end of their tee slot cross-slide table. I got one of those tee slot cross slides on a SB9 I used to own. I loved it. Here's the taper attachment bit: http://mlatoolbox.com/S-4382B.html

metalmagpie

Comment

Drug, dragged, who cares, understood, the point is you got it home and looks like a lot of hours of rebuild fun ahead for you. Congratulations! Would be great if you can post some project pictures from time to time, now that George's upgrade has made it easy to do.
              Good luck, and thanks for posting it.
              S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by greenie View Post
                Sheesh, what a total fool (moron ) the original poster is, --- ‘drug a lathe’, what did the idiot do, inject it with heroin ?

...]
                it just occurred to me.... the O.P. DID make a grammatical mistake..... and that probably accounts for the observation quoted above..

The correct grammar for that would have been " I done drug another lathe home." No wonder folks were confused.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

it just occurred to me.... the O.P. DID make a grammatical mistake..... and that probably accounts for the observation quoted above..

The correct grammar for that would have been " I done drug another lathe home." No wonder folks were confused.

There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Huh, and I thought he drug it so he could took it apart.

Comment

Somebody else got a real bargain today. A Rivett 608 for £32. I would have gone and got it myself but I couldn't spare the time to drive to Lincoln to fetch it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174090041525
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                        Somebody else got a real bargain today. A Rivett 608 for £32. I would have gone and got it myself but I couldn't spare the time to drive to Lincoln to fetch it.

That is a bargain.

Comment

I've dragged a few things home, but the kicking and screaming is too much for me to handle. Things are just much more compliant when you drug them.

Comment

Noooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!
                            There were not 2 people bidding who were Rivett buffs, otherwise that price would have been minimum x 10, possibly x 20.

Comment

I looked at the pics of the machine again. There really is very little of it present in the pics, and what is there appears to be pretty rough. Maybe a lot of what I see is old grease and oil, but it looks like rust. The whole thing needs refurbishing and almost certainly re-scraping.

Best thing about it is that the back gears do not appear to be stripped. Stripped back gears are pretty common as a fault with a Rivett of the type.

All in all, it might well have gone for something in the $300 US range, depending on what the bidders wanted that it has. The back gears alone might be worth most of the $300, with the rest bonus. So thaiguzzi has a point.

A very nice 608 on a Rivett stand might go for anything in the $2000 to $4000 range, depending on what it has with it in terms of Rivett accessories.

But there is barely enough there in the ebay lathe to form a working lathe, no extras. The stand is best forgotten, if it is what is in the pics. If there are any extras, they do not appear.

I bought a 608 some years back, for a bit under what many Atlas lathes would sell for. It was also pretty rough, but it has nearly all the parts, plus a stand, and drive parts, etc. I've done quite a bit of rebuilding, but it still needs a lot of work. At least I have finally acquired a 30" straightedge in excellent condition, so I can get to work on the bed if I ever get enough time again.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X