Thinking about getting into Battle Bots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting into Battle Bots

Well, it makes sense. It incorporates ALL of my hobbies into one. Machining, Electronics, Welding, 3D CAD, Design, R/C, CNC, etc...
    Also found it interesting that the bible of the subject written by Grant Imahara is out of print and costs a fortune to acquire now.
    Was at the Orlando maker faire. They had the big ones from TV, and a small booth with micro ones. I am thinking the larger ones. I know some of you have dabbled in it.

You'd be a natural but be prepared to dump the 3d printer and get into some robust machining lol

I too had a few concepts floating around in my head and inquired on here awhile back --- there's a few members who were into it for awhile and what they have to say would be priceless...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      You'd be a natural but be prepared to dump the 3d printer and get into some robust machining lol

I too had a few concepts floating around in my head and inquired on here awhile back --- there's a few members who were into it for awhile and what they have to say would be priceless...
      I was just reading the official web page. Apparently you have to apply and they have design rules that go beyond the engineering side, into the "showy, flashy, good for TV" bullcrap that I have zero interest in. So in many aspects it is right up my alley, but the showy and flashy side is something my wife will have to handle. Also have to assemble a team... After you do all of that, you apply. Missed the deadline for 2020 I think. So have over a year to get ready for it. Naturally I would pick team mates from this forum.
      Yes, the 3D printer would have no place for this. The Monarch 10EE however...

Comment

Battle Bots is one of my favorite shows on Tv. Hope you get to join them. Let us know if you get in and your team name so we can Cheer you on.
        Last edited by lugnut; 11-18-2019, 10:56 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

It has to be almost 20 years since I saw that anywhere on TV.... where do you find it?

Thought about it for a while, but decided it was not something I had the "fire" for.....

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

it was on mainstream TV just a couple years back don't know why they cancelled as it was fun to watch, yes they really have gone "hollywood" with it - some of it's kinda fun other is a little too much

I do not have pockets deep enough to attempt something like that but could be the mechanical and concept head for a team,,, you would need a really good RC tech guy and "pilot" too... and Daddy warbucks would not hurt either lol

Comment

I can't believe this guy has 1.6 million subscribers, but I found this clip to be extremely funny. I saved you all the pain by including a link that starts at 9 minutes. And the bot "HUGE" I got to see in person at the Orlando Makers faire. You have to click the blue link to start at 9:00 apparently.

Last edited by RB211; 11-19-2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

That was funny - that girl was cute and you could tell felt sorry for pink pony lol

Comment

So many different approaches one could take - and it really depends on your opponent what's going to work or not,

I just thought of something i never thought of --- what about a big massive block of UHMW lol gut out some sections way inside and have mega power attached to super gummy wheels that are way inside the structure, just concentrate on the other weapons available that you don't have to carry that are in the corners or saws built into the floor and stuff and push your opponent around anywhere you want to,,, huge mobility and power and some of the most durable material you can find and also does not matter if something connects and blows off major chunks, would be interesting.

Comment

So many different approaches one could take - and it really depends on your opponent what's going to work or not,

I just thought of something i never thought of --- what about a big massive block of UHMW lol gut out some sections way inside and have mega power attached to super gummy wheels that are way inside the structure, just concentrate on the other weapons available that you don't have to carry that are in the corners or saws built into the floor and stuff and push your opponent around anywhere you want to,,, huge mobility and power and some of the most durable material you can find and also does not matter if something connects and blows off major chunks, would be interesting.
                    Wouldn't be flashy enough, reading the brochure.

Comment

-Robot Combat is very much a case of rock, paper, scissors. There have been some very competitive bots, but there have also been some amazing designs that just never really worked out.

I just thought of something i never thought of --- what about a big massive block of UHMW lol gut out some sections way inside and have mega power attached to super gummy wheels that are way inside the structure[...]
                      -That's called a pushybot. And back in the day, some well-driven designs could actually work that way. Vlad the Impaler, while it had a sort of "forklift" it could use to try and lift/tip over opponents, it's main offense was speed and pushing power. It was amazingly fast, and was built very strong in order to withstand the ramming speeds. And it won against a lot of early 'bots because the "technology", for want of a better word, wasn't as mature. All you had to do is knock a control connection off your opponents' radio receiver, or loosen a battery connection, and you'd win.

[...]just concentrate on the other weapons available that you don't have to carry that are in the corners or saws built into the floor and stuff and push your opponent around anywhere you want to[...]
                      -The problem is that today, the builders are more sophisticated, building the robots specifically to withstand incredible impacts. AND, most of your opponents will have incredibly powerful kinetic weapons. Look up some bouts on Youtube, like Minotaur (40-pound drum spinning at something like 15K RPM) Tombstone (50-pound, 3-foot long tool steel bar spinning at about 8,000 RPM) or Matador (flipper arm powered by compressed gas- can throw a 200-pound opponent 12 feet in the air.) Back in the Comedy Central days, there was a 'bot called Whyachi, which had a cage made of three "meat tenderizer" style hammers- each one about 20 lb- which had two 12 HP 24V Briggs & Stratton electric motors, overvolted to 48V powering it. In the last CC series, the superheavyweight version- 340lb- spun those hammers so hard that a slight imbalance caused it to literally throw itself into the corner and destroy itself.

I'm not up on the latest stuff, but back in the day, even the lightweights packed a punch- Hazard had a tool steel helicopter bar that spun at a couple thousand RPM, and Ziggo had a dome shell (made out of a heavily reinforced wok ) that could do about 3,000 RPM.

[...]huge mobility and power and some of the most durable material you can find and also does not matter if something connects and blows off major chunks, would be interesting.
                      -It depends on which venue you compete in. The fancy televised stuff or the "big name" events that actually have a cage for the battles? If you don't have a pretty serious active weapon, you're not going to make it.

The smaller regional events that only have plywood barriers? Most of those have stiff limits on the power or even existence of an active weapon, and wedges, rammers and pushybots can compete pretty well.

The "Battlebox" when used for Comedy Central events? Those had two inches of Lexan from the ground up to eight feet, and one inch above that. Including the ceiling. In the bout between Nightmare (5' diameter spinning wheel with two hook teeth) versus Warhead (50 lb spinning dome with two low-profile teeth, powered by a 2-stroke gas engine) Warhead knocked one of Nightmare's teeth clean off the wheel, with enough force that it got embedded in the Lexan wall.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Is one of your hobbies printing money? It looks to me like it takes a LOT of money for the parts and then lots of spare parts. And what about travel, hotel , etc. More than I want to or can spend. But if you can do it that's great and I wish you a lot of success. I love watching them and have thought it would be fun to get into.

On another subject and a small point I will admit. Are they really robots? I think of a robot as acting independent. These seem more like remote control devices or vehicles. And I guess while I am at it I throw this one in too. Why is it the speed of the rotors in miles per hour? I thought things that rotated were measured in RPM or surface feet per min.? You don't set the speed of your lathe for MPH do you? I guess I can answer my own questions, hype for the mechanically ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                          On another subject and a small point I will admit. Are they really robots? I think of a robot as acting independent. These seem more like remote control devices or vehicles.
                          Battle Remote Controls doesn't roll off the tongue.

Comment

Well RC is just a fancy way to operate "waldos." Waldo Wars seems even worse.
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

They are pushing for AI elements in robots, and there are sponsors, why there is a push to have something good for TV. sponsors include Mouser, SolidWorks, Vextronics, etc...
                              It's all a moot point since my wife doesn't want any part in it. Still may make my own for fun. Maybe we could start our own Home Shop Machinist robot league,

Comment

Working...
                              X