DC motor info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC motor info needed

I have a Baldor 90v DC motor I'm going to use on a single lip cutter. The motor has 2 blue leads for thermal protection. I suspect I will not need thermal protection for this application. What do I do with the leads if I am not going to use them? Click image for larger version

Name:	baldor.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1839386

Put a wire nut on each one?

Comment

Given the warning about the internal switch and possible restart I suspect that the blue leads go to a "thermal warning" panel light. The blue leads might be a second independent set of contacts on the thermal cutout or they may feed motor power out to a light during a thermal cutoff event. Since it would be hard to test this without deliberately overheating the motor or finding some Baldor notes on the motor I'd say just cap them off and forget them.

Comment

The blue conductors are thermal sensor, they normally read short circuit continuity..
        They would normally open up a relay coil or enunciator etc when overheat occurs.
        Don't forget the Earth GND (green).
        Max.

Comment

Thanks. Stu

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
            The blue conductors are thermal sensor, they normally read short circuit continuity..
            They would normally open up a relay coil or enunciator etc when overheat occurs.
            Don't forget the Earth GND (green).
            Max.
            Are they normally an NC contact? I have seen thermal sensor wires recently on motors recently that I think are more likely a thermister based on the way the manuals say to read them.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Are they normally an NC contact? I have seen thermal sensor wires recently on motors recently that I think are more likely a thermister based on the way the manuals say to read them.
              There are two types out there IIRC the Baldor is the NC Bimetal type.Open on overheat.
              In my experience the NC contact is the norm, just send an alarm to the controller or the actual relay to inhibit, Fanuc servo's use this method.
              A resistance check would confirm it.
              Max.

Comment

Working...
              X