Favorite (Easiest) Rust Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite (Easiest) Rust Removal

I'm picking up a batch of reamers later that look like they spent some time in a bucket. Most of the flutes look good, and a number are coated in wax still. I need to clean up the shanks without affecting the dimensions of the flutes.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Warm citric acid bath.

Comment

That or phosphoric, easily available in US as Jasco metal prep at one of the big box hardware places.

Phosphoric should take between 15 and 30 min for most rust, at about a 2 or 4 to one dilution from the bottle solution, with a light brushing after 15 min for flaky rust. No idea on timing for citric.
      1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I'd group them by shank lengths, stand them upright in a container (shanks down) and soak in white vinegar for a while, then scrub the shanks with steel wool as they're removed. Rinse in hot water, blow dry with compressed air, then coat in some kind of oil or such.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

X2 on the vinegar, I usually let things soak for about a week, then scrub off in hot soapy water with a green scrubbie pad. I oil things immediately after drying with 3-in-1. You'd be amazed at the tooling I've saved this way.

Comment

There is a good product called CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) that works well for this. It eats rust but is fairly gentle and I haven't had any particular flash rust issues after using it. I've even used it on metal parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for really fast rust removal; that works well, shiny areas still come out shiny, the rusty areas come out sort of dull silver.

Comment

Tape up the cutting edges and pop them into the bead blaster cabinet.

RWO

Comment

i used to use phosphoric acid until my supply ran out. Now I use Evaporust.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                  There is a good product called CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) that works well for this. It eats rust but is fairly gentle and I haven't had any particular flash rust issues after using it. I've even used it on metal parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for really fast rust removal; that works well, shiny areas still come out shiny, the rusty areas come out sort of dull silver.
                  CLR USED to be phosphoric. I used it. Then they changed it to hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, which is horrible stuff to keep around, it rusts everything. I then looked for phosphoric and found the Jasco Metal Prep at Home Depot.
                  1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Depends on what I am derusting. I've had good results from Evaporust on cleaning up some lightly rusted sockets. For bigger structural parts I use Ospho, and for stuff that will fit in a 5 gallon bucket, I use electrolysis.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Another vote for vinegar. Hard to beat dirt cheap

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

CLR USED to be phosphoric. I used it. Then they changed it to hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, which is horrible stuff to keep around, it rusts everything. I then looked for phosphoric and found the Jasco Metal Prep at Home Depot.
                        When did this change occur?
                        https://clrbrands.com/en-US/Products...e-Rust-Remover

Comment

Put a dash of table salt in the vinegar to speed the action along.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                            Put a dash of table salt in the vinegar to speed the action along.
                            I use white vinegar and salt, but not a dash. A saturated solution (pour salt in until some settles out on the bottom) is much more effective than plain vinegar.

The difference? The rust removal that vinegar will do in a few days will occur overnight with the salt.

Environmentally friendly, too. Salt, vinegar, iron are all good to pour down the drain.

-js

There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Using salt introduces chloride ions, which tend to foster corrosion.. You may see more tendency to flash rust.

Ed
                              For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X