Nomex Welding Gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

I've got a pair of those. I like them very much. But I don't think there is a "one size fits all" glove when it comes to welding.
    True that, there is no one size fits all. I use the normal gloves from the welding supply for MIG and stick, and a pair of leather driving gloves for TIG if I wear any gloves at all. I save the nomex lined ones for really hot-n-heavy action like arc gouging and heavy stick work. Back in the 1990's I was going through a case of 7018 a week easily. And sometimes I crank the MIG up to a spray transfer around 30 volts and 75% on the wire feed with 045 wire (that particular job is 1x3 flat bars onto a 1/2 plate) point being it gets hot on the back of your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      And sometimes I crank the MIG up to a spray transfer around 30 volts and 75% on the wire feed with 045 wire (that particular job is 1x3 flat bars onto a 1/2 plate) point being it gets hot on the back of your hand.
      Those Black Stallion gloves handle that without getting crusty? I found that, even if my hands stayed cool enough, the leather on most gloves turns hard as a brick after exposure to that kind of heat. That's why I started buying the metalized gloves. But the nomex lined gloves are a new addition and I've been taking it easy on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Those Black Stallion gloves handle that without getting crusty? I found that, even if my hands stayed cool enough, the leather on most gloves turns hard as a brick after exposure to that kind of heat. That's why I started buying the metalized gloves. But the nomex lined gloves are a new addition and I've been taking it easy on them.
        Yeah the leather gets crusty if you're not careful, it softens right up again if you sweat into it enough. Basically wear them for a week. In the really nasty jobs, I used to put those aluminum deflector shields on the backs of my hands -- you know the ones that slip over with elastic straps.

EDIT the spray transfer won't do that to the leather, but arc gouging will
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 02-28-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
          What type of welding process? I have and use different gloves for Mig, Tig, and Stick. My stick gloves are heavy crusty leather ones because I've usually doing heavy crusty welding work. My mig gloves are much lighter and flexible, and my tig gloves are very thin barely noticable. Gloves are cheap, and IMO trying to get one style to fit all processes is a compromise for all. I've also got a tig finger I use that comes in handy sometimes.

Edit I just did a quick google search and came up with these. I'm heading over to princess auto this weekend and will pick up a set to try out. For $5 it's worth a shot. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...es/A-p8789216e
          Came up as "unavailable". But they have these "flight gloves" for $15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8851883.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	875.1 KB
ID:	1858640
          Attached Files
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

You guys wear gloves? Lol. I weld 8 hrs a day...when I have to..I use the cheap Longhorns work gloves. Anyrhing else is too hot. Ok...heavy stick welding I use old school heavy leather
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
            X