Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post

I bought a 21mm shoe-mount viewfinder from eBay
    I have several brightline finders, but don't recognize your 21mm finder. At $40 it is a lot cheaper than Voigtlander finders. Who made it?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Those are neat but they're a pretty serious and complicated undertaking
      Yes they would be, even more problematic would film long enough for a large format Cirkut style camera,
      medium format and 35 mm are still easy to obtain, I have to wonder if ilford's special size order offer
      would accommodate it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Why wood?

Seems like the same or better function would be available with, say, aluminum, which would no have any issues with weather conditions. But, of course, less basic coolness factor.
        Well, you answered the question already.

Partly weight, as the wood pieces from aluminum would weigh over 1 lb alone. Maple is easy to machine, cheap and fast to work with, can be routed easier on the wood router, and can use wood screws on it. Also will feel warmer if using it on a cold day. Cosmetically, it breaks up the shiny silverness a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

I have several brightline finders, but don't recognize your 21mm finder. At $40 it is a lot cheaper than Voigtlander finders. Who made it?
          It doesn't have any framelines, just a clear view. It's from eBay. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-21mm-O...e/202760406050

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post

Yes they would be, even more problematic would film long enough for a large format Cirkut style camera,
            medium format and 35 mm are still easy to obtain, I have to wonder if ilford's special size order offer
            would accommodate it.
            I'm not sure if they would do "rolls" or oddly shaped strips. I could see that needing more specialized equipment than just simple sheets of varying sizes.

I don't know what people do with the cirkut cameras now.

Comment

Well, you answered the question already.

Partly weight, as the wood pieces from aluminum would weigh over 1 lb alone. Maple is easy to machine, cheap and fast to work with, can be routed easier on the wood router, and can use wood screws on it. Also will feel warmer if using it on a cold day. Cosmetically, it breaks up the shiny silverness a little bit.
              OK. I figured you could mill them out to take care of the weight reasonably. Most cameras have something on the body for "feel", even the old 1940s Leicas, which have something like
              "Naugahyde" on them.

But wood does look nice.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

OK. I figured you could mill them out to take care of the weight reasonably. Most cameras have something on the body for "feel", even the old 1940s Leicas, which have something like
                "Naugahyde" on them.

But wood does look nice.
                I was seeing as something like writing in pen; it takes a degree of confidence.

I had some issues with this build that definitely would have been a lot harder to deal with if I had done it out of aluminum. Actually, if I had designed it for metal I would have done the design totally differently.

I tested it out by putting scotch tape across the film plane, and it looks good. The film plane is adjusted by 4 screws and the back side has foam on it. This may not be a great way to do it, and may make something more solid and longer lasting than foam.

Pained the backsides of everything flat black and stained the wood and applied boiled linseed oil.

Comment

"Done" and ready for testing.

Comment

Appears to be 2 light leaks. Also found some difficulty with film advancing and frame spacing, which I've tried to work out.

Comment

Looking good. Love the incorporation of a level.

Comment

Yes, pics look good

You will find the leaks, just a minor hassle.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

where do you get the film, and how do you process it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                            where do you get the film, and how do you process it?
                            Film is alive and well!

Lots of stores sell it (several in toronto) and many online places. Chemicals are readily available. I develop at home in my homemade darkroom.

Comment

Film is alive and well!
                              I too shoot mostly film. The 2-bath C41 kit from Cinestill makes developing color negatives as simple as processing B&W. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y.

I applaud your project -- these first results show that you have a flat film-plane. Your attention to detail has paid off. I look forward to more of your images in this thread. Are you doing camera-scans to get digital files?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X