No announcement yet.

Chuck centering device for ROTAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why make an adapter when you can get the same results by indicating the hole
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      I'll bet it's just because a guy damn well wants to.
      Go figure.
      Len

Comment

Getting it will probably be a bigger disappointment then wanting it and not getting it.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Well, you said it: "indicating the hole". With my adopter I can use an edge finder which I find easier and faster to use than an indicator.

Perhaps it is just me, but I hate trying to follow an indicator reading as it is being rotated 360 degrees. Mirrors, cell phone cameras, craned neck producing pain, etc. I do not have a coaxial indicator. With my electric edge indicator the bulb lights up when contact is made and that can be easily viewed from any single position around the rotary table.

I will concede that the indicator method may be a little more accurate.

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            Different jobs need different work holding. AND, have you ever tried to pickup a 10" RT? I dropped mine once due to the weight and my greasy hands. And that was with nothing attached to it. With my 6", four jaw chuck, it would be almost impossible for me to lift it. So, even if I always used the four jaw on the RT, I do not always have the RT mounted on my mill's table. I do not have a hoist in my shop so I have to remove it without the chuck.

I promised some photos in my post above. Here are some that I already had showing my centering device. I use this both for centering the RT under the quill and for locating parts on the table with a center hole that matches the OD of the adapter's protrusion. The bottom of that hole is drilled and tapped 1/4-20 for the removal tool to grab it.

If I can find the time, I will try to take a photo of my chuck centering with the adjustable square.

I like the centering setup with Quill, real simple no indicators needed my Tos Kurim 12" RT has a 35mm straight hole,I think bob s posted similar idea in #2 post.

Comment

How about a mechanism that includes a small wheel (a skateboard wheel may do) that is nudged up against the outside of the chuck while you rotate the rotab.

Comment

I never "indicate" my RT ( unless it is a supercritical job like >.0005 TIR)
                I use the spindle to align my Rotary Table - NOT align the spindle to the RT ! - No dial indicator needed
                I have 4 RT's and each has snug center plug bored to dowel pin sizes,(or a taper )
                Put the Dowel in the hole ( for tapers, use a dowel with a squared (!) off end
                Put the corresponding size collet in the spindle and lower the quill over the dowel (DO NOT lock the quill clamp)
                Raise the knee after you tighten the collet and when the quill is fully retracted, the RT is centered
                Now, clamp the RT to the table !
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                  I never "indicate" my RT ( unless it is a supercritical job like >.0005 TIR)
                  I use the spindle to align my Rotary Table - NOT align the spindle to the RT ! - No dial indicator needed
                  I have 4 RT's and each has snug center plug bored to dowel pin sizes,(or a taper )
                  Put the Dowel in the hole ( for tapers, use a dowel with a squared (!) off end
                  Put the corresponding size collet in the spindle and lower the quill over the dowel (DO NOT lock the quill clamp)
                  Raise the knee after you tighten the collet and when the quill is fully retracted, the RT is centered
                  Now, clamp the RT to the table !
                  Rich
                  That's how I do it as well.

Comment

On another note, Do you know "IF" the hole in your Rotary Table is "True" ?
                    I had a 6 inch Rt that I got and the hole was off .002" ( .004" TIR)
                    Took the table off the base and checked the way surfaces-- Male/Female....they were good. (under .0005" )
                    Chucked the table face towards the 4 Jaw chuck and indicated the way surfaces to .000 (X and Y ) and then re- bored the hole larger to make it true
                    Rich

Check your table OD while doing this ...you may need to turn the OD ..carefully
                    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 12-01-2019, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Well, you said it: "indicating the hole". With my adopter I can use an edge finder which I find easier and faster to use than an indicator.

Perhaps it is just me, but I hate trying to follow an indicator reading as it is being rotated 360 degrees. Mirrors, cell phone cameras, craned neck producing pain, etc. I do not have a coaxial indicator. With my electric edge indicator the bulb lights up when contact is made and that can be easily viewed from any single position around the rotary table.

80 percent of my indicating is done on 3 sides, at the end I check the 4th, and its very close, if not good.... makes up it much easier..

Comment

That works too. Personally I use a "3D Taster" to indicate the centre of the table hole, fast and accurate.

Comment

Put the chuck on the table and stand three short pieces of 1" diameter bar around it, line them up in about five seconds and tighten the hold down bolts.

Comment

Working...
                          X