SketchUp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SketchUp

I've been trying to learn SketchUp. Things aren't going well. I'm using the free version, which I think is called SketchUp Free. I tried to check the name before I started this post, but couldn't find it. I bought "SketchUp for Dummies' (SUD). Contrary to what SUD, and all the places I've looked at on the internet, there is no file button. There doesn't seem to be anyway to export the files, or send them to the printer. I tried to do a screen shot, and all I got was a blank page and the words ' upgrade now' at the bottom.

I tried to do a search on this site, but didn't find much. It's been a long time since I've been on here. Things have changed, so maybe I'm not using search correctly.

Is SketchUp worth bothering with? I don't want to ante up for the upgrade, only to find I can't use it either. It doesn't seem to be very effective for 2d drawings, which is what I need the most now.

Any help will be welcome.

After killing more than an hour trying to figure out how to print, I stumbled on the file icon at the upper left hand corner and managed to print my "drawing" out. Any insights on sketchup are welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

Probably can't help you a lot but SketchUp is mainly aimed at 3D modelling rather than 2D. It is possible to print 2D 1:1 plans but it's not easy. There are, I believe, add-ons in the full version that may make that easier....but I haven't tried them.
      I​​​​​ suspect it comes down to what you want to do. I found SketchUp quicker to learn - the tutorial videos are actually quite good at getting you off the ground - but if you want to get into things like 3D printing, CNC or things like stress testing, flow simulation and the like then Fusion 360 is probably more suitable. More complicated to learn but ultimately more powerful. The issue (my issue, to be fair - and it's probably due to both lack of knowledge and coming from SketchUp) is that Fusion's constraint of parameters can be both a major plus and a massive pain. You have to draw/design things from the ground up with that in mind.
      I'm told that SolidWorks is also very good but I'm not sure they have a free (for personal or non-profit) version.
      If you're after 2D, would something like AutoCAD (or similar but free) not work better?
      ​​​

Comment

I think 2D CAD only lends itself to Laser cutting, Water Jet, Plasma, and simple 2.5D machining. There is I believe a huge momentum shift at least in the hobby world that 3D is where it is at. Everyone wants their piece of the pie, with 3D printers exploding on the market, and even cheaper CNC milling machines making inroads everywhere, a feature rich 3D CAD program is going to cost money.

Comment

The only insight I have to offer on Sketchup is don't bother I've tried both Sketchup and Onshape, neither worked well. Fusion 360 is far more advanced and the free hobby version has all of the features of the paid versions.

Comment

I use the free version, now called SketchUp Make 2017. I will upgrade to the Pro version someday, but so far I have not needed any of the hundreds of plugins which are there available.

I made this model a few days ago. It is eight blind collars on the corners of a cube.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

If I remember right and for those of us who remember Evan...He was a huge proponent of Sketchup and made some REALLY impressive designs using it. And then built them.
              That being said, as someone who used Autocad and Cadkey all day in shops, I took a very short stab at it and nothing gelled.

I still have a few varied projects to finish before I assemble my Anet 8 Plus and try to learn F360. I got a couple tutorial books just before they started the new money thing, but it still seems like the better option.
              Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

I have used Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Blender and Fusion 360.

I prefer Fusion 360 for most things.
                OpenSCAD is good for some things, such as polyhedra when making math models. (My 3D printer has been making all sorts of fun shapes)
                Blender is my choice for very organic shapes.
                Sketchup fell off the bottom of my list.

Comment

I have not tried Sketchup. When I found that Fusion 360 was free for non-professional use, I tried it. As far as I am concerned, it is great. And there is no end to the free tutorials that are available on the internet (YouTube). I found those by Paul McWhorter to be an excellent starting point.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    ... When I found that Fusion 360 was free for non-professional use, I tried it. As far as I am concerned, it is great.
                    I need software which can make patent drawings. This is notably lacking in SketchUp, and as far as I can tell Fusion 360 does not have it either. The drawings should provide shading, which on curved surfaces is typically done with variable line width. Does anybody know of good patent drawing software?
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I used to use sketchup myself but I found it quite limiting. The free version of sketchup did not make any drawings so it was one reason I dumped it for F360. But F360s drawing function seems limited too, refused to work with a drawing I made that had a part I revolved from a spline for instance. Don't think it does the shading you ask for either.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

I need software which can make patent drawings. This is notably lacking in SketchUp, and as far as I can tell Fusion 360 does not have it either. The drawings should provide shading, which on curved surfaces is typically done with variable line width. Does anybody know of good patent drawing software?
                        How much are you willing to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                          If I remember right and for those of us who remember Evan...He was a huge proponent of Sketchup and made some REALLY impressive designs using it. And then built them.
                          That being said, as someone who used Autocad and Cadkey all day in shops, I took a very short stab at it and nothing gelled.

I still have a few varied projects to finish before I assemble my Anet 8 Plus and try to learn F360. I got a couple tutorial books just before they started the new money thing, but it still seems like the better option.
                          Evan was/is an Alien with a brain that can process things differently than most people. Incredibly brilliant on some subjects and a bit weird on others, fitting similarities to having aspbergers(sp). Think he even said he had it. Well, I figure that's how he got Sketchup to work for him.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post

How much are you willing to pay?
                            A free version, for starters.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

I have used old AutoCad LT to do that, and the drawings were deemed OK and ended up being used as-is.

Almost any CAD system will do variable line widths on the 2D drawings. Some make it harder than others do.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X