No announcement yet.

Alternative Way Covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You FINALLY decided! Now I can get some sleep! Looking good.

Comment

I found a set of automotive floor mats (front & rear) at Wally World for around $10-TT&L. I'm using one front and part of one rear. They've been on over a couple of years. I had to redo the back one because I cut it too short though. I used part of the rear to cover my vise. I still have enough to make another set, if needed. Can't post pictures any more. Sorry.

Comment

By far the best way to maintain a machine in pristine condition is to buy 2 at a time, one to use and one to admire how it looks, this is a win/win situation for all involved.
        I bought this machine 20 years ago and it looks like new, the one over there not so much.

Comment

Tool Guy
          I have been using your suggestion of a non-stick silicone oven line (this is fiberglass coated with silicone). I got mine when the one in our oven was no longer suitable (aka FREE). They are 16" x 23" and can be cut down. They roll up easily and are good to 500 deg F. in an oven environment and cost $20 (less 20% or more with a coupon) at Bed Bath and Beyond. Hot chips don't stick. Does not seem to be affected by oils, WD40, tapping fluid, etc. Easily wiped off because the surface is smooth and non-porous. Made in USA.

Here's the URL:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ick-oven-liner

They have stores around the USA and free shipping possible if no local store.

Comment

Originally posted by PointFive View Post
            Tool Guy
            I have been using your suggestion of a non-stick silicone oven line (this is fiberglass coated with silicone). I got mine when the one in our oven was no longer suitable (aka FREE). They are 16" x 23" and can be cut down. They roll up easily and are good to 500 deg F. in an oven environment and cost $20 (less 20% or more with a coupon) at Bed Bath and Beyond. Hot chips don't stick. Does not seem to be affected by oils, WD40, tapping fluid, etc. Easily wiped off because the surface is smooth and non-porous. Made in USA.

Here's the URL:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ick-oven-liner

They have stores around the USA and free shipping possible if no local store.

Local dollar stores may offer cheaper alternatives. Here's a New England specimen:

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/che...product/220764

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post

Local dollar stores may offer cheaper alternatives. Here's a New England specimen:

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/che...product/220764
              I put my zip code in to find the closest store:

Wilkes-Barre
              620 Kidder St
              Wilkes-Barre PA, 18702
              570-231-4312 - 3684 mi
              Store Details

In Stock

Comment

No matter what zip code I put in the search box all that ever comes up is eastern PA and NJ .
                ...lew...

Comment

Well, here I am quoting myself for the first time.

What I said about the Grizzly OEM cover is NOT TRUE. After I said that, it did start to crack and fall apart. So I am now in that same, overfilled boat, looking for a non-OEM replacement.

I may not drive in the right neighborhoods, but I have never seen an old treadmill on any curb around here. Lots of drawers that I have put to good use in the shop, but no treadmills. I guess I will have to actually buy something.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  You speak of the rear cover going to pieces but you do not mention what brand it is. I have a Grizzly mill that is over 10 years old and my OEM rear cover is just fine. I assure you that I have taken no special care of it. Perhaps you should just try a cover by a different manufacturer.

Beyond that, I have made some shop accessories from those flexible, vinyl(?) binders sold in WalMart and others who sell school supplies. So far, they seem to stand up well to shop fluids. And they are dead cheap.
                  Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 08-02-2020, 06:22 PM.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                    By far the best way to maintain a machine in pristine condition is to buy 2 at a time, one to use and one to admire how it looks, this is a win/win situation for all involved.
                    I bought this machine 20 years ago and it looks like new, the one over there not so much.
                    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...

Comment

Working...
                    X