Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: What ever happened to the Worlds fair???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What ever happened to the Worlds fair???

Used to be the Worlds Fair was a big event, lots of TV and magazine coverage. Now you never hear about them anymore. The '39, '67 plus the Tokyo, another in New York and Seattle (years forgotten) where particularly good.

Have they gone the way of the DODO??

OK I just looked it up and they still exist but are just as likely to be cancelled as go thru. What happened to them should be the question.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I went to the animal fair
    The birds and beasts were there.
    The big baboon by the light of the moon was combing his auburn hair
    The monkey he got drunk
    He sat on the elephants trunk
    The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
    And that was the end of the monk monk monk!!!
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Like the Olympics I think that the economic reality is they are huge money losers so no one wants to spend that kind of money for no return. I went to the NY fair in 1962 and I still remember some of it.

Comment

The internet, cheap travel, etc. Why bring the world to you when you can see the world for yourself? Of course all I ever do each month is travel the world. Would rather just be home doing the things I enjoy. The stuff that keeps an average tourist entertained is mind numbingly boring to me. Oh look, a beach... But it is Waikiki beach... Yep, it's sandy, theres saltwater, and a view, just like any other beach... But the food is much more expensive, and annoying people everywhere...

Comment

Who remembers the scandal of the Worlds Fair in Chicago in 1992 and the tainted Words Fair in Knoxville in 1984 with Jake Butcher going to jail?

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
            Like the Olympics I think that the economic reality is they are huge money losers so no one wants to spend that kind of money for no return. I went to the NY fair in 1962 and I still remember some of it.
            I went to the NY worlds fair too. I remember there was a counter showing the worlds population increasing. The thing was a blur. It struck me that I had read a Playboy picture, I mean article, and it said on average how many sexual intercourse encounters it took before a woman got pregnant. In those days it was definitely smile worthy.

Comment

I went to the NY World's Fair, in 1964. Apparently it was not officially sanctioned, but it was still an incredible event, and fascinating for me as a 15 year old. We took the train from Baltimore, and when we got there we found that our hotel reservations would not be honored because many people decided to stay for the World Series, and NY law prevents eviction if someone extends their stay. So we found a cheap hotel in Brooklyn and we rode the subway a lot. I was really impressed by the huge buildings and masses of people, and took a liking to big cities until I became more of an outdoors enthusiast and environmental advocate in the early 1970s.

As a youngster, I read about the 1958 Brussels World's Fair, featuring the "Atomium" sculpture, and when my GF and I went to Europe in 1979, we saw it and other remnants that were preserved. I saw remnants of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, featuring the Space Needle and monorail, in 1970, and parts of the 1967 Montreal World's Fair, featuring the fugly Habitat 67, in 1971.

The "Atomium" was protected by an absurd copyright law that made it illegal to photograph and show it to anyone, so it had to be "redacted".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium
              Last edited by PStechPaul; 12-01-2019, 07:14 PM.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

The Jetsons was cancled and no point having a worlds fair without the Jetsons on TV

Comment

I think the internet says it all.

There was a time when someone with a new product would see the world's fair as THE place to introduce or at least show it. That is no longer the case. The world fair has simply outlived it's usefullness.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                    Who remembers the scandal of the Worlds Fair in Chicago in 1992 and the tainted Words Fair in Knoxville in 1984 with Jake Butcher going to jail?
                    1984 worlds fair was in New Orleans. 1982 was the KY.Click image for larger version

Name:	e8e4afd63fcb9ea8870b406027df25a1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1841335

Comment

Expo 86 in Vancouver was one I think.. got down near it but not inside. Watched the fireworks a few nights. Sounded like lots of things to look at..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        Expo 86 in Vancouver was one I think.. got down near it but not inside. Watched the fireworks a few nights. Sounded like lots of things to look at..
                        We (wife, me, son (14) daughter (10) ) drove up from SF, stopping in Oregon to visit relatives. Long boring drive for the kids. I think we all felt that the expo itself was just as boring. The much-ballyhooed laser show was anemic. Much better show in any disco (of which some still existed then). Then the long drive home.

Still, then we could say we'd done it. Once was enough.

-js
                        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I was told this story by a machinist coworker who had once worked for Rockwell International. The Soviet Union first discovered the possibilities of EDM machining back in 1943 and by 1965 they felt they had perfected it. At the Montreal World's Fair in 1967 they proudly displayed a block of titanium approximately one foot on a side with a 1mm hole smack center in a corner which ran to the diagonally opposite corner emerging, once again, smack centered in the middle of the corner where three planes met. After the fair was over an official from Rockwell asked if he could borrow the block to display at their company to show off what strides the Russians had made. The Russians agreed. Rockwell had it a week and sent it back to them telling them that one of their engineers had noticed that there was something wrong with the finish of the hole and could they explain it .... long story short - Rockwell had threaded the hole.

Comment

Went on a school trip to Expo 86 in Vancouver, still have a faded shirt that looks ridiculous on me when I put it on now. Most memorable thing about it was I bought a pizza as we left the place, we got on the plane back to Edmonton, and I had the the stewardess heat up the pizza in their microwave. Whole plane smelled of pizza for the trip home, but no food was served (except, of course, to one person)...

Comment

There is suppose to be one next year in Dubai but it isn't being advertised much.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Working...
                              X