Thoughts on this Hardinge HLV-H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this Hardinge HLV-H

I was drooling over this thing when these people had their estate sale a couple weeks ago. They were asking 9 grand then. Now it is 7500. Worth it? The deceased was a tool and die maker, and everything looked well taken care of. They had a couple of series 1 J heads, but none of the tooling was for sale separate. You got a bunch of tooling with each machine.
    Early Hardinge Lathe that has had a recent spindle rebuilt. Comes with rotary phase inverter, collects plus, KDK tool post and 26 tool holders. Hardinge tools radius cutter, gears to cut metric...

As the seller says; pretty damn complete.
    Fully accessorized.

Comment

You couldn't buy a new machine with that tooling for that price. Not a steal, but not bad either. The deal I got my 10ee for I believe is once in a lifetime, so not comparable. Hell, it is only a a bit more than my Taiwan 1236 with all the tooling, VFD conversion, DRO, etc that I spent, and this is a hell of a lot nicer machine.

Comment

Go see it, assess wear and general condition. Its not quite as much of a cream puff and I'd want for that money but not totally unreasonable. What year is it? The spindle rebuild concerns me - what happened? There sealed for life bearings not oilbath, with the later, the spindle should outlast the rest of the lathe....but I'd want to do some due diligence on what the norm is for the HLV . Abuse? accident? If its just age, is the whole thing just very worn? who did the bearings, and are they quiet and pass all tests with your best indicator? (runout, no movement radially or axially)

Imo the price is full, lathe old and it doesn't look like a cream puff. otoh photo's don't always tell the story and they don't come up often. Only you can decide for you, for me it'd be a maybe pending a good going over
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-02-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I did not realize any of the Hardinge lathes had thread cutting capability.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
            Probably one of the best small lathes for it, with that wonderful single tooth clutch you can cut threads at up to 1000rpm.

As for the lathe in question the value is in the accessories. Some high-value stuff comes along with that machine and even if you didn't need a lot of it you could recover your costs by selling off the bits you'll never need and still end up with a very nice lathe if it's not worn out.

As a bare machine it would be a definite 'no' at that price but the accessories make it a good price IMO. It's common for the compound slide base to be bent like a banana.
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
              The HLV is the grand daddy of Hardinge lathes and one of the nicest tool room lathes every made....almost as a good as a 10ee

Comment

Thats a really nice machine. I wish I could afford one of those

Comment

Love the HLV-H but if it indeed has had a spindle rebuilt recently you'd think the guy doing it would take some time to clean the front bearing cap.
                  www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Put it this way: If that machine half as well tooled, was available for the same price within 300 or 400 miles of me, I'd own it already.

He has the Hardinge radius attachment- those alone go for about two grand. There's another grand-plus in KDK toolholders, if most of those collets are Hardinge brand, there's another $2K right there, and that nose-mount parting tool usually sells for about $750 on eBay.

Overall that's a hell of a deal. (Assuming something unknown isn't badly broken, worn or missing.)

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Put simply - If you have not already made arrangements to retrieve it, then you have wasted the effort of the post and the last 20 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        Go see it, assess wear and general condition. Its not quite as much of a cream puff and I'd want for that money but not totally unreasonable. What year is it? The spindle rebuild concerns me - what happened? There sealed for life bearings not oilbath, with the later, the spindle should outlast the rest of the lathe....but I'd want to do some due diligence on what the norm is for the HLV . Abuse? accident? If its just age, is the whole thing just very worn? who did the bearings, and are they quiet and pass all tests with your best indicator? (runout, no movement radially or axially)

Imo the price is full, lathe old and it doesn't look like a cream puff. otoh photo's don't always tell the story and they don't come up often. Only you can decide for you, for me it'd be a maybe pending a good going over
                        I am confused. Oil bath bearings should last virtually forever, but sealed for "life" only lasts the life of the lubricant. The bearings in our--addmittedly cheaper--rockwell are on their way out. Only a 40-50 year old lathe.
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post

Probably one of the best small lathes for it, with that wonderful single tooth clutch you can cut threads at up to 1000rpm.

As for the lathe in question the value is in the accessories. Some high-value stuff comes along with that machine and even if you didn't need a lot of it you could recover your costs by selling off the bits you'll never need and still end up with a very nice lathe if it's not worn out.

As a bare machine it would be a definite 'no' at that price but the accessories make it a good price IMO. It's common for the compound slide base to be bent like a banana.
                          +1. Concur.
                          As with other posters, i'd already be on the case if i had the cash.

Comment

Although, that much money spent on a used lathe or any machine tool, I'd be looking for something CNC.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                              Although, that much money spent on a used lathe or any machine tool, I'd be looking for something CNC.
                              -Why? What if you're not doing production work?

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X