Craftsman Automatic Center Punch No 4054

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Automatic Center Punch No 4054

I have a 4054 that is missing its point. It appears to thread into the tool. Can a replacement point be purchased? Does anyone have a 4054 that can give the size and thread of the point?

Thank you.

Not to state the obvious, but If you have some assorted screws to try in it you could maybe figure out size of the thread. If you know the thread, maybe you can match up a Starrett or other manufacturers part. The older Starretts used thread in replaceable point like that. Some other company obviously made them for Craftsman.

Comment

I have not been able to match the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
        The older Starretts used thread in replaceable point like that. Some other company obviously made them for Craftsman.
        Maybe General Tool and Hardware or Lufkin? I see a complete punch on Fleabay, but the part number is 9 40541. Maybe Sears parts?

Comment

I have a 9-40541.

The point is one piece. The part is 1.741" long. by .155" diameter. The retention hub is .171" diameter x .190" long.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe.Buuck View Post
            I have a 9-40541.

The point is one piece. The part is 1.741" long. by .155" diameter. The retention hub is .171" diameter x .190" long.
            My 30+ yr. old 9-40541 is exactly the same. I also have a similar Starrett with the screw in point. When I needed a new point, I removed the old point and drilled the threaded recess for a little piece of 1/16" carbide rod and a dab of Loctite. Problem solved. It does need a diamond wheel to sharpen again ( if it ever needs it).

RWO

Comment

I think I have 2 punches, a B&S and a Starrett, where the threaded tip broke off and the hardened stub can't be extracted!

Comment

I used to use automatic centerpunches a lot. I own a Starrett and a General. I have bought replacement tips for both. FYI I like the General better than the Starrett.

To the OP, I suggest you scrap the Craftsman and buy a General. It is inexpensive, works great, and since it has replaceable tips it will essentially last forever.

Now I scribe lines and feel the intersection point with a Proto prick punch. More accurate.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                X