Grease Type for Fiber Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Type for Fiber Gears

I am refurbishing a Made in Sweden Radial Drill and it has Fiber to Metal gears in it,all ball bearing have no seals.The grease is pretty caked and I am going to clean with Varsol and repack with equvilent or better grease,there's no oil bath at all.
    Any advice.

Hi,

I've always just used regular old EP grease. Always worked just fine until some clown would crash the machine and strip the gear.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

What kind of fiber gears?
      Nylon Tufnol gears can be lubed with silicone based greases supplemented with Teflon.
      Generally you want a lubricant that is very tacky to reduce sling-off.

Comment

TTT, the second best grease I have discovered is made by Texas Refinery Corporation. (I haven't found the best one yet.) It's seriously GOOD grease.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
          What kind of fiber gears?
          Nylon Tufnol gears can be lubed with silicone based greases supplemented with Teflon.
          Generally you want a lubricant that is very tacky to reduce sling-off.
          This is pic of final drive on Quill,must be tough stuff as no wear to be found and it had a MT 3 to MT 4 adapter so I'm assuming they were using drill bits larger than machine is rated for.This thing appears never had any TLC! Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1841388

You guys know how to enlarge pic when I upload it?

Comment

Probably any general purpose grease would be fine, but silicone greases tend to be more inert towards organic materials like phenolic plastic, which that gear probably is.

Ed
            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
              Hi,

I've always just used regular old EP grease. Always worked just fine until some clown would crash the machine and strip the gear.

That is about as helpful as saying, "I'll have a beer, any kind will do".

-D
              DZER

Comment

Silicone grease is an incredibly bad lubricant for anything metal.
                I would never use it on bearings or anything steel, aluminum, or brass.
                Galling will soon ensue. Stop recommending it for anything aside from
                use on rubber or plastic type materials.

-D
                DZER

Comment

I would opt for a calcium based heavy grease rather than a lithium high melting point. The fibre gears are pretty much self lubricating, but a little extra won't do any harm, and will stop corrosion of the steel gears.
                  The photo's will blow up when they are clicked on by someone who is not signed in, and after I signed in, the pictures were already enlarged.

Comment

These guys know their stuff - they been building fiber gears for hundreds of thousands of years and they say absolutely no lube as it will attract dirt and actually jam the gear teeth mechanism....

https://youtu.be/xQk-lP2R04Y

Comment

Well, AK, now I know where Fred Flintstone gets his fibre gears from. I had assumed that the gears in question were protected from the ingress of dirt. The OP mentioned old hardened grease, but no dirt.

Comment

I know I know - but isn't that amazing? nature just blows me away sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

That is about as helpful as saying, "I'll have a beer, any kind will do".

-D
                          Does saying it was Mobil or Mystic, or Cenex, or Harbor Freight EP Grease make you feel better?
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            These guys know their stuff - they been building fiber gears for hundreds of thousands of years and they say absolutely no lube as it will attract dirt and actually jam the gear teeth mechanism....

https://youtu.be/xQk-lP2R04Y
                            That's nice until the OEM of the machine tells you it needs to be greased and it's even got a zerk fitted? Pretty sure the Snyder Senator knew what they wanted for lubrication on their machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post

Does saying it was Mobil or Mystic, or Cenex, or Harbor Freight EP Grease make you feel better?
                              The viscosity and the base chemistry are the most important factors when specifying a grease.
                              Brand is irrelevant.
                              "Regular" is meaningless.

-D
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X