concentric brand live center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concentric brand live center

I picked up a Concentric live center on e bay. From what I gather, maintenance consists of pumping grease in the tailstock end. This is threaded, maybe I can find a zirc fitting that fits. Will a grease gun push the old grease out the other end? There doesn't appear any hole or path for the grease to come out, unless it just oozes out around the circumference of the rotating center? thanks for any advice!

Hi,

I can't say about that specific brand, but yeah, the excess grease will push out from around point and seal. Just be careful and don't over grease the thing. They will over heat during use. And slow to medium speeds are recommended. No 3000+ rpms please.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

hi dalee, thanks for the caution on overgreasing. I have a Logan 200, top speed as I recall is near 1500 rpm.

Comment

Over greasing will likely make it run hotter. It should be greased from factory I would think..

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
          Just be careful and don't over grease the thing.
          Not a chance if it's anything like mine. I've wasted more grease on that thing than I've managed to get into it. It's almost impossible to get any grease to come out of the front by pumping, but some excess will ooze out the front when you next use it. You can tell if you managed to get some in. Push the ball bearing at the back in, and the new grease you just put in will shoot back out. Now you have to put some new grease in again I haven't used mine a lot, so it's still fairly tight. A more used one might be easier to grease. Someone on PM said they remove the front circlip to grease it, but my pliers wouldn't grab it.

I've tried three different grease guns with it, including two "push" types. I'm now using a Dualco, which works better than the other two.I think they no longer tell you which grease to use in the instructions, only that they they sell a special grease for it. It's Monolec 4701. Let us know if you find a good way to grease it.

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          Over greasing will likely make it run hotter. It should be greased from factory I would think..
          Daily greasing is recommended in the instructions. Excess oozes out as it expands, so I don't think you could overdo it.

Comment

I wouldn't put a zerk in the rear of the center - on mine it gets a fair amount of pressure from the tailstock quill screw to pop it out of the taper. I keep a SHCS in it instead (this also makes it long enough that the screw can actually hit it...)

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
              Let us know if you find a good way to grease it.
              I looked at the posts over on PM, someone there typed in the mfg's instructions, which mention a Z-737 grease nozzle. if you google "alemite z737" you will see a picture of what that looks like. I turned up a copy from 1/2 inch round steel. the business end is about 0.16 inch to fit in the hole in the tailstock end of the live center. the other end of the nozzle is drilled Q and threaded 1/8 x 27 NPT to fit my little grip grease gun. the throughhole is 3/32. it worked fine, a few pumps had old grease oozing out around the center.

Comment

What type of center is it? The low-profile spring-type needle bearing centers by Concentric use oil, not grease. Higher speed use requires lighter oils.

Comment

It's a revolving center..

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                    Hi,

I can't say about that specific brand, but yeah, the excess grease will push out from around point and seal. Just be careful and don't over grease the thing. They will over heat during use. And slow to medium speeds are recommended. No 3000+ rpms please.
                    If your pumping grease into a bearing and it's pushing out the other end then it's more than likely packed full. I don't know how you could do anything other than over grease it by doing that.
                    I made a thing to pump grease into shielded bearings, it works great. The excess grease will will just push out when the bearing is put to use.
                    If your worried about generating excess heat run it slow off and on and let the excess push out.

JL..........
                    Last edited by JoeLee; Today, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X