RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" Help

Years ago someone produced a saw that looked like a chain saw ,but the blade reciprocated. It was like a giant sawsall. Does anyone remember the name? This will have machining content. Thanks Edwin Dirnbeck

I know what saw you are asking about. Unfortunately I can't recall the name either. The old issues or Popular Mechanics and Popular Science are available on Google. Pick an appropriate year issue and look through the ads.

Comment

If you Google RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" and then scroll down to Images for RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" and click on it, the third entry on the top line takes you to a Youtube video of a reciprocating chain saw which shows the name "Wright: on the side of the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
        If you Google RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" and then scroll down to Images for RECIPROCATING "CHAIN SAW" and click on it, the third entry on the top line takes you to a Youtube video of a reciprocating chain saw which shows the name "Wright: on the side of the saw.
        I've seen a picture of one of those before but never saw it in action.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My Dad liked the Wright saw. Photo about 1960, cutting down a wild cherry tree, saw was used to fell the tree. Note the wedge marks on the cut end. This saw was painted metallic beige. I ran it myself a few times. It will not clear sawdust from the cut, you must work the saw back and forth.
          JFLingg
          JFLingg @ 25 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado

Comment

Wright Saws the brainstorm that turned brainfart faster than you could get one running.
            There are actually collectors, Internet groups and possibly a large collection of owners on Smokstak.com
            They ain't bad for ripping unless you saw thru the horse.

Comment

You can buy one on eBay for $200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAG...R/303140049331

It might be a little safer than a standard circulating chain saw, like the popular oscillating tools. It would tend to dig in and cut a rigid object like a log, whereas on skin it would do a lot less damage than a chain.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Sure you don't mean one of these: http://praziusa.com/beamcutter.html

Comment

Wow ,this was fast.. Thank you all. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

This is on my list of future projects. I have been using the new carbide tipped sawsall blades to cut roots on shrubs. I wander how a scaled up carbide tipped sawsall would do on large tree roots..I envision cutting around a tree in a cone shaped paterrn and pulling the tree over,leaving little or no stump. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Saw one in a Thrift store a few weeks ago in Orlando Fl. Considered buying it just because it was so different.
                      M.Barry

Comment

You'll be a lot better served learning to use a truck tire as a fulcrum in the pulling and probably won't need to cut roots.

Even easier, steel pail, 5 gallon size and a blower along with some pipe and charcoal makes excellent well done cooked stump with minimal work.
                        Place lawn chair well back from the stump as things will get hot.

Comment

Not exactly what you were asking about, but as a sort of interesting tangent:

When I read the original post, I recalled seeing a electric version something like what was asked about. This goes back years, i recall seeing an old metal bodies saw like that. That of course sent me off to do a few web searches. On trying "power hand saw" I was surprised to find that Balck & Decker still makes such a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/DECKER-PHS550.../dp/B000CA6FDY

At 35 bucks, not likely one of your finer tools, but curious that such a thing is still marketed.

Then, in looking through the image results, I spotted what I'm fairly sure is the same type of thing I'd seen way back when in an old timers barn. Petty sure it was one of these:

http://www.cutlerymania.com/jarvis-r...blade-115v-hd/

Which is apparently used in the meat processing industry to cut up large animals into more manageable pieces.

Comment

well... I used to collect chainsaws and like... and have actually run a "wright" like the above. Maybe if you were trying to make a cleaner cut then old slow chains, but there are many reasons the concept was quickly abandoned. For roots a battery powered reciprocating saw will run rings around it.

Comment

Honestly they were really an update of an Ottowa log saw that didn't work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X