Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make this in the home shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make this in the home shop?

1/14th scale Bulldozer tread links. I'm guessing they are diecast, but the description says no.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VVV-S0166-1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1841588
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VVV-S0166-2.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1841589Click image for larger version

Name:	VVV-S0166-4.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1841590

I am guessing not easily. Start with custom extrusion.

Comment

The vertical mounting flanges appear to bolt on. That makes it a 3 piece assembly. The larger flat section could be made in a longer strip and saw off each one. The small flanges made in a sheet using tabs to hold them, a bunch at a time. Things like this are where a cnc mill and fusion shine !!

Comment

I'm just talking out of my ass but using the equipment I have at hand....

I think I'd weld it and make it in two parts, from the pics it looks to be two parts bolted together. Use several plates to make the bigger profile and then machine the welded piece. Same procedure for the 2nd part, weld up a U-profile I guess and machine the features onto it, then bolt them together.

Comment

I thought you were the 3D printing guru!!! Print them.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            For once in the past couple of years I want something to be made out of metal

Comment

Sand cast them out of aluminum, not hard, look ugly “Backyard Metal Casting”!

Comment

Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
                Sand cast them out of aluminum, not hard, look ugly “Backyard Metal Casting”!
                I was going to suggest the same thing. Good excuse to build a foundry.

You've already got the 3d printer to help make patterns. It's a natural progression......

Comment

I knew a fella that used to build some incredible all metal scale model bulldozers and I remember that he built his track pads and links by fabricating them from mild steel plates that he welded and ground in a jig that he built for the purpose, very time consuming but they did come out very nice.

I do know that 1/14 scale pads are now available commercially as linked to below, but I'm sure that's not the answer you are looking for.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32688950617.html

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Just program it into your CNC machine, and it should spit it out, right???

-Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                      Doozer bet me to it. It's obvious, CNC man!

Comment

They said it wasn't die casting, but that doesn't rule out investment casting. Investment can be near-net sizes and incredibly detailed. I would use either 3D printing or machinable wax to make the negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          You just need a new printer that prints metal Tom Lipton had a piece printed out of metal a while back. Wasn't super expensive. I think he said you pay by the amount of material as complexity doesn't matter for the printer.

Comment

Here is the video. It was $78 for the part.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Have it printed in metal
                              Helder Ferreira
                              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
                              X