Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would your choice be for a new shop/house be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would your choice be for a new shop/house be?

I’m thinking about buying a piece of property and
    building v/s buying. Existing home prices are
    rediculous right now and I figure I could buy a piece
    of property and have a new place built and be more
    energy efficient and better insulated etc. v/s buying
    an older home that’s been updated and overpriced.

What would your choice be for a new Shop?

Have a shop in a basement? Or
    Build a separate shop?
    Barndominium?

I like the idea of building and getting exactly what I want but I see it as a premium way to go. Sort of like buying a new car vs a year old one and letting somebody else pick up the first year depreciation. (saying that, I bought my last two cars new). Shop location would depend a lot on what you do in your shop. I have a "clean" shop in the basement for electronics and other very minor repairs but the bulk of my stuff was evicted by my wife on grounds of too much smoke, dust, noise etc. For that I have a separate garage that is insulated, heated etc. but in the winter time it is much more tempting to go to the basement or keep my garage activities to a quick cut or two as I don't like waiting for it to warm up.

Brian

Comment

Where are you located? Up here in Ontario I can't do either - houses are rediculously expensive even outside the cities, and for those of us who would be willing to build the lots are scarce and even more overpriced. Legislation makes it hard to sever any land, so lots are scarce unless you're a massive developer with the ability to buy massive tracts of land and can grease the wheels of government to allow the rezoning and severing of lots. Am I bitter about this? Heck yeah.

If it was my choice I would build (probably craftsman or FLW inspired) with a separate heated outbuilding for the workshop. Keeps the mess and smell out of the wife's area of influence.

Comment

New shop/house??? Yes please!!

Comment

Basement shop with 9' ceiling clear to rafters, in-floor heating, either a walk-out basement through garage or bulkhead entry with removable steps and hoist trolley above. 400a service, 3 phase preferred. OR Partial first floor shop as an attached area of primary dwelling. Similar requirements to basement shop. Slab set so finished floor could later be installed and shop space converted to additional living space, preserving the value of the home when sold.

Comment

We built our house new in 2013-14 and I think in the end it was 50- to 60,000 euros more expensive than buying a similar house and property once all was said and done. The cost of our 2350m2 property was 11,000 euros. But that was included in the above estimate, just giving an idea of local property prices, though they have risen since.

But the similar houses we looked at were all older houses built in the 1970s and 80s and not as energy efficient as a modern house and the heating systems installed in the old places where obsolete ones like fuel oil and or combined oil and wood boilers all nearing the end of their lifespans so we would have been looking at both more expensive day to day running and expensive repairs and who knows what other issues might be hiding in an older house you did not build?

I think it would be nice to have the shop in the house so it could be heated along with the house and it wouldn't require putting on outdoor clothes in the winter.

But then again I believe I wouldn't actually choose that option, because the shop would dirty up the rest of the house, if I did woodworking (I do) then dust would likely be carried to the rest of the house as they'd likely share the ventilation system and just from moving between the areas. And then there's the noise too.

So I believe a free standing shop is best if you don't live alone. I did not take into account making my garage into a shop when we built it. If I did I would have made it larger (duh) and increased the ceiling height and added hydronic floor heating.

Comment

I live in Indiana.

My only concern with a Basement is moisture since
              I have machine tools. I would think in todays age
              that moisture can be controlled much better?
              And water in the basement should be pretty much
              non-existant, especially if you have a walk out
              basement? and fix the drainage around the house
              properly?

Comment

On anything new or old 1st check county/city building zoning, FEMA flood zone, property tax ,title restrictions, setbacks, right of ways and any neighborhood restrictions. Then also utilities availability for a new build. Electricity, Water, Gas, Sewer, Garbage, Internet, Cell Reception in the area, etc...

Comment

I'd want all sections to be close to avoid finding I'd left a vital tool in one of the other areas. So Metal, wood, electronics gardening all clustered round a central core with woodburner, kitchenette, shower. Also need a general 'dirty stuff' room and a large outside covered carport area, Probably be quite a bit bigger than my current whole house. Can't understand why all these multimillionaires waste their money on yachts and swimming pools.
                  Trouble is making the decisions when there is no limit so it is often easier to have the constraints of an existing garage or shed to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                    We built our house new in 2013-14 and I think in the end it was 50- to 60,000 euros more expensive than buying a similar house and property once all was said and done. The cost of our 2350m2 property was 11,000 euros. But that was included in the above estimate, just giving an idea of local property prices, though they have risen since.
                    I think that would equate to about a 1/2 acre of land. Around here unserviced (no sewer, no water, no hydro) country lots are going for between $400,000 - $500,000 (CAD) per acre, meaning your lot would have cost between 136,000 and 205,000 euro. Before you've even put a shovel in the ground. So yeah. I heard the song 'If I had a million dollars' the other day, and it did not age well. It talks about having a million dollars and being rich, which was true when it was written in 1992. Now a million dollars will by you a 3 bedroom house in a respectable neighbourhood in Toronto or Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post

I think that would equate to about a 1/2 acre of land. Around here unserviced (no sewer, no water, no hydro) country lots are going for between $400,000 - $500,000 (CAD) per acre, meaning your lot would have cost between 136,000 and 205,000 euro. Before you've even put a shovel in the ground. So yeah. I heard the song 'If I had a million dollars' the other day, and it did not age well. It talks about having a million dollars and being rich, which was true when it was written in 1992. Now a million dollars will by you a 3 bedroom house in a respectable neighbourhood in Toronto or Vancouver.
                      Same here close to capital city, half acre would cost you 100k to 400k euros. I think our tiny quarter-acre plot is worth bit over 100k. Move 300 miles north to middle of the countryside and they will give you money if you build your house there.
                      DennisCA still had to pay for the lot so its not enough backcountry

Comment

Originally posted by hammernanvil View Post
                        I live in Indiana.

My only concern with a Basement is moisture since
                        I have machine tools. I would think in todays age
                        that moisture can be controlled much better?
                        And water in the basement should be pretty much
                        non-existant, especially if you have a walk out
                        basement? and fix the drainage around the house
                        properly?
                        I know nothing about US building codes but around here basements are meant to stay as dry as the rest of the building. External thermal insulation and waterproof barrier+proper drainage should take care of that.

At least around here its Generally considered more expensive to go underground so if you have enough large lot building to singe level is cheaper.

Comment

I am happy with my current home shop on 10 acres of land and a 40x60 shop with built in home in SW Missouri cost about 100,000

Comment

Originally posted by hammernanvil View Post
                            I’m thinking about buying a piece of property and
                            building v/s buying. Existing home prices are
                            rediculous right now and I figure I could buy a piece
                            of property and have a new place built and be more
                            energy efficient and better insulated etc. v/s buying
                            an older home that’s been updated and overpriced.

What would your choice be for a new Shop?

Have a shop in a basement? Or
                            Build a separate shop?
                            Barndominium?
                            You must be a young fella' or you never would have asked.
                            ALL ONE LEVEL!
                            Len

Comment

Originally posted by RSTANSBURY View Post
                              I am happy with my current home shop on 10 acres of land and a 40x60 shop with built in home in SW Missouri cost about 100,000
                              That is exactly what I would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X