the Tesla truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    It just occurred to me after I wrote the stuff below, that the Tesla truck looks somewhat like an ugly modern version of a civilian Hummer.

Yes, more for the "coolness contest" than for any practical use...……...
    You are far too kind. To me the new Tesla truck looks like a very low budget grade B post apocalyptic vehicle made from a basic 4x4 given a plywood panel exterior body work. But it lacks the nice little Walmart appliance add ons and old vacuum cleaner hoses glued to the outside to give it some reasonable oddity appeal.

I'm actually quite the fan of the Tesla sedan. But this "THING" ! ? ! ? In the words of Kelly Bundy "... my mind wobbles....".... which is about all the praise that this thing deserves.

It's not a truck. It's not an SUV. It seems like at best it's sort of a convertible camper along the lines of the old Pontiac Aztek…. which itself earned the ugliest vehicle of the decade at the time.....
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

It's not a truck. It's not an SUV. It seems like at best it's sort of a convertible camper along the lines of the old Pontiac Aztek…. which itself earned the ugliest vehicle of the decade at the time.....
      You had to remind me of that, didn't you....

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

It got folks talking, so I'd say its good advertising. Beyond that, everything from the design to the presentation is rather comical. Its nowhere near street legal from a crash, pedestrian safety, or lighting standpoint. Its also rather comical looking. The unveiling was rather comically bad, the glass obviously isnt bulletproof and their drivel about the difficulty of forming stainless sheet seems like a PR afterthought/excuse for the appearance critics. Personally I dont see this as anything more than a marketing stunt and given the "preorders" ($10M? worth) I'd say it was successful.

As to Tesla itself, I dont believe they're long for the world given their massive quality issues, current fuel prices, and cuts to govt subsidies.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I’ve seen better looking 8th grade metal shop projects
          jack

Comment

Why does it have to be made in stainless. ?What about glass fibre composite?

Comment

Because Musk won't do anything unless he thinks and can claim it is "really, really new and cool". There wouldn't be anything new and cool about a fiberglass body.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It looks like the Mars rover from some sci-fi movie.

JL................
                I thought at first it was some kind of joke that it's actually in production and being sold... It's not only hideous --- flat panels are impractical as they are heavier due to either having to be MUCH thicker and OR have much more reinforcement behind them,,, Yet, in a day and age where all the lemmings are trying to grasp on to something that separates them from the crowd of other lemmings it just might go over esp. in the highly populated lemming area's

Forget the fact that it just plain does not make sense on so many levels - most people are unaware as to why to begin with,,, it's a POS that never should have been built, but there's allot of that going around these days...

Comment

These days he COULD get away with a carbon composite body. But while such things are high tech and shiny for the lemmings if the carbon is exposed it has a few long term sunlight exposure issues. And if it's painted over to avoid those things then no one can see the funky carbon fiber. So the appeal goes away.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It looks like the Mars rover from some sci-fi movie.
                    Not from a sci-fi movie ...

"It uses unusually thick 3 mm 30x-series cold-rolled stainless steel body panels, which cannot be stamped like conventional automobile parts. The panels can only be bent along straight lines, resulting in a very distinctive faceted design which has been called "low-poly" or likened to origami. This material is the same material SpaceX uses on the Mars rocket prototype, because it distributes stress more evenly and allows for more interior volume."

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

I thought at first it was some kind of joke that it's actually in production and being sold... It's not only hideous --- flat panels are impractical as they are heavier due to either having to be MUCH thicker and OR have much more reinforcement behind them,,, Yet, in a day and age where all the lemmings are trying to grasp on to something that separates them from the crowd of other lemmings it just might go over esp. in the highly populated lemming area's

Forget the fact that it just plain does not make sense on so many levels - most people are unaware as to why to begin with,,, it's a POS that never should have been built, but there's allot of that going around these days...
                      Yea and Elon Musk must have been smoking his dope when he approved the design.

JL...............

Comment

Crumple zones? Why do I see straight sheets of stainless decapitating everyone inside the truck in a head on collision?
                        The looks are growing on me, actually like the look of it now. Man is a genius, free advertising!

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

"It uses unusually thick 3 mm
                          In that case the body is needlessly heavy for what it will be used for. And just another head shaker to add to the confusion that is embodied in this odd design.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

3mm stainless??? They have got to be kidding
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

"It uses unusually thick 3 mm 30x-series cold-rolled stainless steel body panels, which cannot be stamped like conventional automobile parts. The panels can only be bent along straight lines, resulting in a very distinctive faceted design which has been called "low-poly" or likened to origami. This material is the same material SpaceX uses on the Mars rocket prototype, because it distributes stress more evenly and allows for more interior volume."
                              You mean 12ga stainless steel bent with a press brake? Real high tech stuff there.

Comment

I think the stainless steel shell is also the main structural component, so it doubles as the frame. At least it won't rust out like my 1999 Saturn!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturn_Frame_Rust_4786.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1842362

Name:	Saturn_Frame_Rust_4787.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1842363

Name:	Saturn_Frame_Rust_4790.jpg