Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: I got AKboomer a pealton indoor bike for winter :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW TC I know you don't take compliments well but you are a cool guy, You are a great devils advocate and instigator and I like your style on this board, you bring out the very best rebuttals in people because you back stuff up with some good wisdom... at first I did not like you because you reminded me of someone I know lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      first rule above all when creating and inventing is #1 above everything else - get a viable concept... they didn't --- it's 15 minutes of fame has gone and past --- time to shelve the POS and write it off in taxes as a failure... hey free advertising - and great PR for the "ooooowh wow look at that crowd" JUNK
      It is 'Function Follows Form' (or bling).. We are Form Follows Function. I'm not interested in creating elaborate fake mockups that do not work, just to generate buzz. The world apparently needs snakeoil salesmen. They certainly tend to be more popular at parties.

Regarding the single speed prototype; with a small gear they can work around a lot of the deflection issues that seem to be inescapable in the multi-speed model. And the single speed need not shift.

And university work? It doesn't mean much. I haven't read the papers but on face value, I say bfd. Students are often just fixated on getting their grade on their small portion of a project, which may be measuring, analyzing, or just proposing, etc.

Showing something won't work often has greater educational value than showing something might work. Sometimes the flaws run as deep as the BS. There is a certain awkwardness that arises when you have substantial data that show the company product will not work.

Countless companies have been created and founded on flawed university tech. I'm sorry to say I was part of one such company (RIP!), and the tech came out of a very prestigious university. In another case the tech came out of the lab division of a large company. In both cases the founders believed their own hype, even in the face of hard data. The outcome was the same in both cases. Just smile and cash the checks, eh?

Comment

Shimano has interesting patent for gearbox

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
          And university work? It doesn't mean much. I haven't read the papers but on face value, I say bfd. Students are often just fixated on getting their grade on their small portion of a project, which may be measuring, analyzing, or just proposing, etc.
          University / corporate cooperative research is not just handed out to a bunch of undergraduates who are given a grade for their efforts.

Showing something won't work often has greater educational value than showing something might work. Sometimes the flaws run as deep as the BS. There is a certain awkwardness that arises when you have substantial data that show the company product will not work.
          Sure, but waving ones arms and calling an idea stupid is not the same thing as exploring the limits of a concept.

Countless companies have been created and founded on flawed university tech. I'm sorry to say I was part of one such company (RIP!), and the tech came out of a very prestigious university. In another case the tech came out of the lab division of a large company. In both cases the founders believed their own hype, even in the face of hard data. The outcome was the same in both cases. Just smile and cash the checks, eh?
          This company was not founded on university technology. They are an established company that has simply enlisted the capabilities of a university to aid in their research.

Citing the failure of a couple of poorly run companies is a straw man argument -- it does not mean that all companies are poorly run. There are many, many highly successful companies that were borne from university research or founded by university personnel.
          Last edited by tomato coupe; 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
            I laughed at the first post in this thread, for the jokes they were. Surprised anyone is taking it seriously...
            Exactly. Oh well, place and people. JR

Comment

Working...
            X