Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~~~ Gumball !!! ~~~

The new record is 27 hrs 25 minutes.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

When I was young (and stupid) I made it from Vallejo, CA to Washington DC in 33 hours. 75 mph average. Only got stopped twice............once for 85 in a 30 (construction zone). He let me go after he pulled his gun on me. I did not like looking right down the barrel of a big revolver. Other time was in Indiana for speeding. Patrolman said he was going 95 for over 20 trying to catch me in traffic. He let me go because he couldn't give a serviceman a ticket because of the world situation (Viet Nam was just ramping up). But he followed me 20+ miles to the state line so I wouldn't kill myself in his state. Raced another car across Iowa for an hour at 100-120mph. Finally I slowed and let him go...............1 mile later I drove by on him the side of the road getting cited. Getting into Maryland I fell asleep behind the wheel. Woke up thinking 'What is that noise?' It was gravel under my tires 'cause I had drifted off the highway. Like I said, really stupid.

Somehow, most of us live through that part of our lives.

OTOH, the Gumball guys were prepared and had support vehicles. Not so stupid.

Mike

Comment

The original 1976 movie Gumball Rally is worth a watch, if you ever have a chance. It was the precusror to the "Cannonball Run" movies, and shows, among other things, Raul Julia in a genuine 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 (same as the "Daytona Spyder" from Miami Vice, but the one in Rally was the real thing- you even get to see the six Dellorto carburetors on the V-12 early on in the movie) and a genuine 1966 Shelby Cobra with a 427 side-oiler.

And a lot of the footage was shot at speed. They tried to do some filming from a helicopter, but it couldn't keep up.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I fell asleep one time driving my old 1951 Pontiac through Alberta. It was just coming onto evening,and I'd been driving all day. One moment I was driving down the highway, the next moment the car was jumping and bucking and cornstalks with big clods of dirt were flying up over the hood and windshield. I knew exactly what had happened so I laid on the gas and kept going. Swerved back onto the road and stopped at the next town and got a hotel room for the night. Scared?--You bet your bippy!!!
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

When my Dad was dying I made it from canon city colo to port huron mich in 18 hours and some change,,, were talking about 130mph through most of kansas,,, stopping to get fuel and coffer and peeing in the cup and tossing the pee out the window --- sometimes light mist in the air or light rain and id stop for fuel and look at the black streaks of road dirt on my white CRX and they were totally horizontal, only time iv ever seen streaks that way was when stepping out of airplanes...

Comment

Saw that the other day, here's some more information for those who are interested: https://www.core77.com/posts/91737/T...ium=from_title

Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Somehow, most of us live through that part of our lives.
              Survivor bias. It's those of us who lived through it that are still around to tell the stories, not the ones who didn't.
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
              X