No announcement yet.

1943 Sidney Lathe Partial Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving it from his dad's house to his house.

-D
    DZER

Comment

• Whew!

Comment

• Originally posted by SVS View Post
        Whew!
        C'mon man, that's some pretty heavy sarcasm haha.

She's gonna get pampered. Wiped down, oil change, felts freshened, new coolant, maybe a backsplash and chuck guard, the works. I was rough on her, so she's earned it.

P.s., not the only machine I am planning to bring home. And the other one is new to me.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• 😁
          Was thinking you were a real hard case if you could scrap something after putting so much time into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SVS View Post
            😁
            Was thinking you were a real hard case if you could scrap something after putting so much time into it.
            It's not out of the question some day. When I'm doing commercial work and I can't find anyone to sell or give it to that will appreciate it, I'll send it along. It'll be tough, but nothing lasts forever, and it doesn't owe anyone anything.

Comment

• Wait... so you're not getting the Sherline...?

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220814_042026973.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	2012644

Sneaketh peeketh. Tried different things than last time, went smoothly, nothing broken. Still slow and laborious any way I've moved a lathe of this weight. My feet hurt like hell, again. Now to do it all over again tomorrow with another machine.

Comment

• My advice is: "don't use those pipes in the ceiling to lift the lathe". +

Comment

• The shop is so fresh! The white walls will be great for lighting. A white ceiling would make it perfect. I'm thinking that you posted a tour of your new shop, or did you?

Comment

• Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      My advice is: "don't use those pipes in the ceiling to lift the lathe". +
                      Lol. They've leaked in hundreds of places, but they've all scabbed over. On the list.

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                      The shop is so fresh! The white walls will be great for lighting. A white ceiling would make it perfect. I'm thinking that you posted a tour of your new shop, or did you?
                      Thanks! It should be. Paint is about a month old. Floor urethane is about 10 days old. Already scratched haha. While Jerry et al have been bickering about centering stuff in chucks, I've been busy working on my home shop lol. I have 12 led bulbs in that little alcove, it's probably brighter than a cloudy day. Throws off the lighting for my videos because the rest of the shop is so dark in comparison.

Kinda sorta. You can see that area here about 8 months ago. I've timestamed it, start at the beginning for the "whole" tour.

Last edited by The Metal Butcher; 08-14-2022, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the shout out in your video, by the way.

--Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

• I haven't posted much lately. Making slow progress, filling it out.

The lathe is hardwired with 10 GAUGE, but my house will still sadly burn down because you know, some NEC bull****.

It's also leveled now. Has a hell of a vibration. Shakes the floor and itself bad enough that the dials are a bit more blurry to the eye. I think it's the POS motor. I'm looking for an old 6 pole. I also think the concrete is thin and has a hollow under it.

I am also working on the backsplash. Should be done soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221218_021929581.PANO.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	2029386

Royersford will be on the right, next to the door. Just enough room to get my forklift in I think. Then other than shelves and wall ornaments, that's this alcove complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221218_175107951.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	2029387

Comment

• I really like the plywood back splash for the lathe.
                            Thinking I should build one for my 17" Colchester.
                            Is it floor-standing or attached to the lathe ?

-Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

• Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                              I really like the plywood back splash for the lathe.
                              Thinking I should build one for my 17" Colchester.
                              Is it floor-standing or attached to the lathe ?

-Doozer
                              Thanks! It sits on the chip pan rub rail.

Wait until you see all my ****ups! I am a terrible woodworker. Messed up an $80 sheet of Baltic birch.

Comment

• Might have missed a post.
                                Walk out basement? That's ideal!
                                About 8' to the floor joists?

Comment

Working...
                                X