Cheap carbide shank boring bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap carbide shank boring bars

I have made most of my carbide shank boring bars by silver soldering the ends of steel bars onto carbide blanks. They work very well, most of mine are 1/2" or 12mm shanks. My smaller 7mm shank shop made one got snapped off by me the other day when I ignored the signs of overstressing. I have just got a Chinese 8mm replacement to try out. It looks the part with a vee notched brazed joint which is better than my simple butt joint. It takes CCMT 06 inserts which I have in steel and aluminium types.
    Minimum machining aperture:10mm(Approx.). 1 Shock Tool. Note: The real color of the item may be slightly different from the pictures shown on website caused by many factors such as brightness of your monitor and light brightness.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts, as I've had my eye on these for a while. Pretty reasonable price all things considered and I've had a lot of use out of my other cheap insert tools not to worry too much.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      I have made most of my carbide shank boring bars by silver soldering the ends of steel bars onto carbide blanks. They work very well, most of mine are 1/2" or 12mm shanks. My smaller 7mm shank shop made one got snapped off by me the other day when I ignored the signs of overstressing. I have just got a Chinese 8mm replacement to try out. It looks the part with a vee notched brazed joint which is better than my simple butt joint. It takes CCMT 06 inserts which I have in steel and aluminium types.
      I wonder if I can find a deal like this in the states, based on my experiences boring out spindles with my limited equipment a carbide bar is the way to go.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Probably works as good as any 8mm bar with ccmt06 insert. (Insert is kinda large for this size and has to be tilted to funny angles)

I have one cheapo 10mm solid carbide bar, no complaints.

Comment

Try shopping Banggood. Prices are generally better than eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I wonder if I can find a deal like this in the states, based on my experiences boring out spindles with my limited equipment a carbide bar is the way to go.
            Shars? Expect to pay at least double tho.

Ebay/aliexpress post package takes time from china but should arrive all the same also to States.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Shars? Expect to pay at least double tho.

Ebay/aliexpress post package takes time from china but should arrive all the same also to States.
              True, I never thought to check Shars. Even at 2x the price, its still a lot cheaper than the major brand names. I had gone so far as to consider making my own someday -- but that day isn't any time soon.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Just had a look on Banggood, couldn't find any solid carbide indexable boring bars. Quite a few on eBay though.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                  Just had a look on Banggood, couldn't find any solid carbide indexable boring bars. Quite a few on eBay though.
                  Banggood has quite limited selection and their shipping times are even more variable than ebay sellers.
                  Aliexpress has probably best selection of the three.

Comment

Working...
                  X