OT I hate windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT I hate windows 10

While visiting my daughter for Christmas, we were discussing problems with our computers. I made the comment that I was going to have to get a new laptop because my old windows 7 unit was probably going to die or start giving me trouble in a few weeks when Microsoft stops supporting 7. So she asks why I don't upgrade to 10, and I say because they want me to pay for it and I feel like that's extortion. She then says that the free upgrade offer is still working. I say "no way" She says "uh huh, way" and proceeds to prove me wrong by downloading and installing10 on my laptop. So now I've had it for a few days, and It's not that bad, EXCEPT I can't get the touch pad mouse control to be controlled. The damn cursor acts like it has a palsy. I set it on an address and click, and it moves and misses the address. It does that on anything I try to click on and it is really pis getting under my skin. I tried going into settings to decrease the sensitivity with no luck. I just noticed that I left an apostrophe out of the word "can't" a few lines above and it took 3 tries to get the cursor to settle between the N and the T. Grrrrrrr.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

It's probably a driver for the touchpad that does not play nice with the Win10 OS. If you bring up the Device Manager you should be able to find the touchpad device and look at the details for its driver. You might try "update driver" and Windows might be able to find one, either locally or online. Newer machines are designed for Win10, and older machines that worked fine on Win7 may have problems when upgraded. Perhaps you can revert back to Win7 and just disable the WiFi or other network and internet connections, and continue using it for things where such on-line access is not needed. Used and refurbed systems are so cheap that it's hardly worth keeping a computer working and up to date longer than about 5 years. Even if you pay $1000 for a machine, $200/year is not bad. And you can buy perfectly capable machines for $200 or so. I got a couple older laptops for free from a computer repair place, and was able to get them running Win98 and Win95 (for MSDOS programs).
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Hopefully this is a brand name machine. If so go to their web site and check for approved Windows 10 drivers. Dell has a tool that will do this by using the burnt in mfg code on the laptop.

Comment

I bought a new Lenovo laptop a month or so ago with windows 10. It is a fast machine with a SS hard drive and boots up from cold in less than 10 seconds. The windows 10 I could do without. I'll probably get used to it some day but for now I am using my old Toshiba satellite laptop that is over 8 years old. It runs windows 7 so I suppose it's days are numbered. I like the touch pad and keyboard a lot better than the new one so when they quit supporting win 7 maybe I'll upgrade to win 10. Do you know if there was anything special that your daughter needed to do to get win 10 for free?
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Your problem with your touchpad is probably the virtual scrolling "feature". I had that same problem until I disabled both vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Plus, I stopped letting MS "support" my Win7 about 3 years ago. I'm sticking with 7 until it no longer operates.
          Last edited by SLK001; 12-30-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Just because Microsoft says they are no longer "supporting" a program does not mean that it will not work. There are people still using various versions of DOS. What it does mean is that there will be no further upgrades. That primarily means that any security flaws that are discovered by the hackers will not be fixed. But then, the hackers will probably be concentrating on Win 10 and not Win 7 so the risk may be minimal.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
              I bought a new Lenovo laptop a month or so ago with windows 10. It is a fast machine with a SS hard drive and boots up from cold in less than 10 seconds. The windows 10 I could do without. I'll probably get used to it some day but for now I am using my old Toshiba satellite laptop that is over 8 years old. It runs windows 7 so I suppose it's days are numbered. I like the touch pad and keyboard a lot better than the new one so when they quit supporting win 7 maybe I'll upgrade to win 10. Do you know if there was anything special that your daughter needed to do to get win 10 for free?
              The free upgrade window has long passed. There was a work around where they had an accesibilty update program where you could upgrade 7 or 8 for free but thats gone now.

Windows update installed upgraders on machines though windows update and if it is still there you can still upgrade.

Almost all my machines are Win 10. I have zero reason to go back. Its way better, faster, and more secure. And more and more new hardware will not work with the older OSes

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post

The free upgrade window has long passed. There was a work around where they had an accesibilty update program where you could upgrade 7 or 8 for free but thats gone now.

Windows update installed upgraders on machines though windows update and if it is still there you can still upgrade.

Almost all my machines are Win 10. I have zero reason to go back. Its way better, faster, and more secure. And more and more new hardware will not work with the older OSes
                I upgraded the Win 7 machine in my shop to Win 10 for free over the weekend so it was still active then. I can't copy the correct link here from the Windows upgrade site because I am on my Android tablet and the site knows and redirects me. But you can search for free win 10 upgrade and CNET and others have the link.
                I moved it all to an SSD that my son bought me and added some more memory and the 10 year old machine is running faster than it ever did and no more annoying messages from Microsoft.
                I do recall running into a Dell laptop model at work that just wouldn't play with Win 10 and we had to abandon them.
                Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Here is the link to the Win 10 upgrade page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...lzapq3ibkucr00

Microsoft claimed that the free upgrade has passed but you can still do it.
                  Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post
                    Here is the link to the Win 10 upgrade page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...lzapq3ibkucr00

Microsoft claimed that the free upgrade has passed but you can still do it.
                    Have you verifed the new Win10 upgrade is activated? It would be bad to find out in 30 days that it installed but was not activated. As I recall, windows will work for a short time without activating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Have you verifed the new Win10 upgrade is activated? It would be bad to find out in 30 days that it installed but was not activated. As I recall, windows will work for a short time without activating it.
                      Yes it is activated. This is the third computer I have upgraded from Win 7 this way after the free upgrade has supposedly passed. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft finally disables this page after Jan 15 but who knows. I am sure they want as many computers as possible off the old OS.
                      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

1) win 7 t0 win 10 is not an upgrade. at best, its a change.

2) its ok, but the real resentment comes from wasting time on a new system with apparently zero incremental benefit.

2a) more time wasted on getting rid of all the call home crap

3) ....2) gets forced on you if you want a new laptop, drives etc

4) so they stop supporting win 7? no more updates? who updates? To many times their crap-wear update stops something working, I stopped updating ages ago.

5) This industry churn to create demand backfired with me.....I'd have bought a new laptop years ago except have held onto the old so as to avoid the time waste learning an unfamiliar system
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-30-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Install a free program called "Open Shell/Classic Shell". I will make Windows 10 look and act like Windows 7 or even XP. I have it on my 4 computers and several others that I have worked on. It is really good.
                          Peter
                          https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7103-open-shell.html
                          Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

I have one concern about not updating. For example, I use Fusion 360 and there are updates to fusion once a month or so, often new features. My concern is what if, down the road, one of the fusion updates will not run under windows 7? I used fusion as a example but the same thing could happen with other applications. In the case of fusion, no choice but to take their updates, the application is cloud based.

I am thinking that a good approach might be a full backup of the HD with win7 on it THEN update to win10. If for any reason problems arise at some point I can revert back to win 7. As mentioned, the free upgrade to win10 probably will not last forever, so I should probably do it sooner than later, or..... just take my chances. I am not unhappy with win7 in any way but the concern above is worrisome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                              1) win 7 t0 win 10 is not an upgrade. at best, its a change.

2) its ok, but the real resentment comes from wasting time on a new system with apparently zero incremental benefit.

2a) more time wasted on getting rid of all the call home crap

3) 3) gets forced on you if you want a new laptop, drives etc

4) so they stop supporting win 7? no more updates? who updates? To many times their crap-wear update stops something working, I stopped updating ages ago.

5) This industry churn to create demand backfired with me.....I'd have bought a new laptop years ago except have held onto the old so as to avoid the time waste learning an unfamiliar system
                              I have worked in IT for the last 25 years and those are virtually the same arguments I have heard from users as we went from DOS to Win 3.11 to NT to XP, etc. When the old geezers and sometimes young geezers complain to me i just tell them that I'm 65 and I can still change, so can you.
                              Also as an FYI, all the new computer games are built for Win10 along with some high end motherboards. My son recently upgraded his gaming computer with a new motherboard and Intel i7 processor and found he had to upgrade to Win 10 for it to work. We did it for free as above.
                              Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X