Magnetic Drill Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

JR, what you describe is sort of what I was thinking might be nice. Having something like a cam lock drill press vise and a mag vise upside down, bolted to the vise, then you could slide the whole unit. Lots of weight though, so it probably wouldn't be very friction free. Your method would be better for that. I haven't found the need yet on my big drill press, typically I just slide parts around and bolt them down or move the table. Maybe someday I'll try it.

But I don't think holding small parts on a magnetic chuck alone is a good idea like the original question.
    Yeah, what I have in my home garage is not the standard type garage around here. They dont have drill presses and would prolly ask why do you need a drill press.

So my small DP does have a nice table attached. So I can slide the 12x24" mag around, or remove it for big stuff. It is only a experiment for me.

I dont need that much holding. I wanted to make the very simple power supply.

Umm. Its a nice chuck once I dialed it in. I can bore a 1" bit through 1" mild steel after a piolet hole of around the 1/8-1/4" sises in the box.

Nuthing moves on the deck, just flat shavings. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dunc View Post
      I know nothing.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
      Thats my buyline. JR

Comment

I know with my drill press I drill aluminum, wood, plastics, rubber, stainless, etc just as much if not more than actual steel.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
          I know with my drill press I drill aluminum, wood, plastics, rubber, stainless, etc just as much if not more than actual steel.
          No problem......

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I use mine as a final cclamping down deal. I clamp the part in a large iron DP vice and slide it around on the mag vice till I am under the drill point then hit the power button on the device and it locks the DP vice down very tight. I also included a degaussing switch to do that. JR
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

FOLLOW UP - It's good to know what doesn't work.

I made a drill press "stop" using a MOT secondary & full wave rectified 70v. I had measured the grip of this setup with a crane scale and it was 600, 800, 1000lbs?? A lot. On the drill press I used it to stop the work from rotating, not to hold it down. I.e., the work was a lever with its fulcrum at the drill bit & MOT magnet at its farthest point.

It worked, kind of. The limitation was with short work pieces: while the magnet had a lot of tensile force, its shear force was much less and with a short lever arm it couldn't hold the work. By "short" I mean 2-3", IIRC. It worked fine with longer work (>4" or so).

So, it was no good for short work and long work I hand-hold*, leaving medium length as MOT magnet territory. Which wasn't worth it & I dismantled it.

* - I know, I know ... hand-holding work is BAD. I've done it & I will continue to do it, so don't go OSHA on me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

JR, what you describe is sort of what I was thinking might be nice. Having something like a cam lock drill press vise and a mag vise upside down, bolted to the vise, then you could slide the whole unit. Lots of weight though, so it probably wouldn't be very friction free. Your method would be better for that. I haven't found the need yet on my big drill press, typically I just slide parts around and bolt them down or move the table. Maybe someday I'll try it.

But I don't think holding small parts on a magnetic chuck alone is a good idea like the original question.
              Not trying to derail magnetic idea, as far a Vise goes been extremely happy with my Heinrich 30 with added Triball for ease compared to sliding handle.Opening to
              10-1/4”,it’s very sturdy and very straight forward design.The Gal I chatted with from Heinrich said it been around forever,nearly as old as dirt lol! Click image for larger version

Name:	A2216BFF-2DC0-4847-AA56-4C62918739F5.png
Views:	48
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	1982576

Comment

Lately I've been using one of these things a lot - directly on small work, or sometimes I use it to clamp the vice itself. Either way, it clamps the work tightly to the table. A very thin piece does require a packing piece as it only tightens to maybe 6 mm from the table surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill press clamp.png
Views:	49
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1982578
                "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                X