Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you find things you made and have no idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow , it took 25 posts for someone to say they put a label on the tool ! I often double over masking tape and write description or purpose on it..or a paper tag wired on, or bag it and write on the bag.
    At first I did not take notes or write procedure. ..then sometimes you find yourself doing a repeat contract job, takes too long, not making money, and you know it was quicker before. ...... THAT is HOW i learned to take notes, write down steps and the order. . Easier the next times.

I found people I was trying to help or teach, saying they not need to take notes... when they say that they usually really need to take notes, almost always.

I did a lot of turret lathe work, mostly for one or three companies... I started to jot everything down, turret base position, stick out on all tools, order of tooling. Pretty soon I could switch to a new part in 1/2 hr or less, a few tiny adjustments and parts were coming off good.
    In the beginning, I usually made tools or widgets almost daily, sometimes several...but eventually, I had a lot of it, and needed to make a lot less.
    Things like bushings to run square stock in a threejaw, rings with coarse nuts on them 15 or so sizes, same for fine thread... great for threading. .reach for the ring, pull what you need , put it back when finished..

Comment

As so often put forth in the Red Green Show we are men. And men don't admit to weaknesses easily. So I'm actually surprised that it ONLY took 25 posts....
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

You guys are a bunch of odd folk. Maybe thats why I return. Ok odd folk. Carry on. JR

P.S. I say it because I thought everyone had ths issue. My bust.
        Last edited by JRouche; 01-04-2020, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I too have the various items that were used and then i have forgotten what it did or was a fixture for. The other thing that I have a problem with is, I come across an item of some type that definitely was for a project, be it a motor, steel, salvage item ETC. but for the life of me I don't remember what the project was or the intention of using said item, so there it sits until the idea resurfaces or I figure something else to use the item for, which is what usually happens.

Anyone else in this kind of situation?

TX
          Mr fixit for the family
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Cuttings View Post
            The problem I have sometimes is that I forget what I have already made to do a job and make a second one.
            Been there, done that. Worse is getting a service call on a gadget I made for a show a decade ago that is now on the road and since they're not the original crew they have no idea how it works. And neither do I, at least at first till if I'm lucky I can bring up pics and or drawings.

Comment

It's called the JUNQUE pile by underinformed people who have no desire to know why I drug it in or kept it for a future project. Many of those people make multiple trips per week to the "convenience" store to pay premium prices because they didn't think to stop for bread or milk as they passed 4 stores driving home from work.
              We've had to paint white lines at the outer edges of the pavement in the last 20 years so those people can stay on the pavement, between the lines. Thinking beyond immediate need has been redefined as evil.

I no longer admit making plans because of the manner the word premeditated gets tossed around Court rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                Wow , it took 25 posts for someone to say they put a label on the tool ! I often double over masking tape and write description or purpose on it..or a paper tag wired on, or bag it and write on the bag.
                I have started stamping the purpose into the tool handle, or writing it on the tool, for certain obscure tools. Writing for when the tool won't stand stamping, or if it is from so long ago that I didn't have letter stamps.

Turns out when I said I remembered most of the tools, I forgot a couple that sit over the bench... Just sections of pipe, turned to size. If I had not labeled them I might not know which is the "chuck disassembly tool" (that I might use again), and which is the "O-ring installation tool" made for an abandoned project at a former employer...... that I will never need again but still sits there.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Go first class.
                  Number the tool and inventory tools in a secure password protected file you can forget the password for.
                  Chalenges keep a man's brain active

Comment

More personal Whatzits that surface just today while looking for something else.... WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF ! ! !

First pic is a nice little .276 (Letter I drill) collet socket for the collet with matching tapered end and the "drawbar" to tighten it. No idea at all why..... Oh, an I drill is just s whiff smaller than 7mm. That might be a clue if it meant anything to me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030566.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1851677

Next is a socket wrench for something. Nice thin hex to fit into a socket with an ID hole for clearance of some other feature.... Again no idea what it's from. But I'm thinking it might be related to some paintball gun project.... maybe....

Name:	P1030567.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1851678

Next two are opposite ends of one rod that has two cross drilled holes to boot One end is a nice square with an inside clearance hole. The other end is threaded using the custom made tap..... No idea than it might possibly be related to some paintball project I did some years ago..

Damn, I wish I'd realized that time would play these tricks on me and here we are now sharing my failings with the world.....

Name:	P1030568.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1851679

Name:	P1030569.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1851680
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I found a piece of machined metal the other day, and remembered making it, but not what I made it for. A lot of things are made to do a one off job and then get chucked back in the metal stock bin for further use in the future. We cannot afford to bin anything which might turn into something else one day.

At my old firm, all tools and fixtures had code numbers put on them, sometimes with the part number of the item which they were used to make. The serrated soft chuck jaws on the NC lathes all could be identified, and were not re machined if there was a likelihood of repeating the job.
                      Last edited by old mart; 01-27-2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I rather like that book record idea. Then just stamp or engrave everything with a symbol like a " ^ " and number so we remember that's a code in the book.

A few years back I started keeping a full size ring bound notebook. Pretty well anything that require more than 4 minutes worth of thought is in there so I don't forget dimensions and the like. I just wish I was doing the same thing back then.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Hi,

If you haven found something you made and can't remember why or what for, you ain't been doing this all that long.
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                            The latest thing that been driving me nuts is how I countersunk a 1" dia flat spot under the 7/8" round scale standoff on the side of the knee. I know how I drilled and tapped the screw holes. I made a jig that sat on top of the knee way and a 1 1/4" sq. bar with drill guide bushings.
                            I must have made a counter sink tool, darned if I could find it. I know I didn't drill a pilot hole in an end mill.

JL...................

Many Bridgeports are drilled, tapped, and spotfaced there for the optics
                            attachment or a Y slide limit stop setup. Mine has the holes.
                            So actually you are going crazy thinking you made some holes and
                            spotfaces that you indeed did not do. How's that for dementia ?

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

I have been making widgets for the Film(movies) industry for twenty years. Occasionally some widget will show back up, and I will think, I know I made this, but how did I do it. ?

Comment

Is it going senile? don't know - but I have so much stuff I built that I don't know what it was originally for I first check out all the area's that I have "old junk" stashed before I build something new, sometimes can just be retrofitted - and sometimes if im really lucky it's something that actually works for the intended purpose - just forgot I built one beforehand...

Comment

Working...
                                X