Sweet spot for inexpensive VFD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet spot for inexpensive VFD?

I know there's been a lot of VFD discussion, but searching did not turn up a thread that answers my questions. Feel free to link to one if you think it does.

I've decided to get rid of my old dynamic phase converter that is only used for my 2hp buffer at this point. I've got 3 VFDs for other tools, but the one I paid the most for, a Toshiba, is my least favorite, the external control requirements were very clunky compared to the two TB Woods I bought used. On the Woods for my drill press it was simple to wire a momentary center off toggle on the control plate of the tool for F-R, with a big mushroom OFF. Simply could not be done with the Toshiba. I also put a pot on the front of the VFD case for speed, and could calibrate the readout to RPM at my most common belt setup. What a joy that was and is!

So my plan is to do the same with a new VFD for the 2hp mill, and swap the hated Toshiba to the buffer. There seems to be a lot of Huanyangs on Ebay, and I found this thread on setting one up https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...idgeport-clone. But the drum switch would not be my preferred configuration. I found the HuanYang manual online, and from this diagram it looks like it does exactly what I want with the momentary switches. I'd like to think something this logical was universal, but I already found it was not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	huanyang wiring.PNG
Views:	299
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1847653

I'm not much of a config tweaker, I can't even remember if I did anything special with the acc, dec, etc on mine. Certainly not on the lathe, that I like to slow by hand so the chuck doesn't spin off! I got as far as buying some braking resistors for the mill, but decided its braking speed without was good enough. So, any comments on makes like Huanyang, Teco, etc, source, and setup would be welcome. I have no idea what to make of the $60-$100 'no name' units on Ebay, if they work that's quite a deal!

Why bother with no-name junk when for $100 MORE you can buy a quality unit? Teco 510 is the sweet spot, Hitachi and many others a bit more.

Edited... and by "more" it depends on the size you want... but you get the point. There is NO free lunch with VFD's.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-08-2020, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
      Why bother with no-name junk when for $100 you can buy a quality unit? Teco 510 is the sweet spot, Hitachi and many others a bit more.
      Care to point me where you see that price for a TECO? Google shows me more like $3-400. What about the LAPOND SVD-ES for $95 on Amazon?

Comment

Lapond is another name for Huanyang. There are several others as well.

The TB Woods was probably actually an Invertek, they have done a lot of OEM versions for others. If it was longish, and a white-tan sort of color, that is even more likely.

Invertek are very easy to set up, and have decent support. I have quite a lot of data on older ones, as I had some factory training on them, and have done a fair amount of modifications as well.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Lapond is another name for Huanyang. There are several others as well.

The TB Woods was probably actually an Invertek, they have done a lot of OEM versions for others. If it was longish, and a white-tan sort of color, that is even more likely.
          That's good to know about Lapond, seems like a reasonable deal then. The Woods are both black, like this one below, what's funny is they're both 0.5hp, but one is 4x the size of the other!

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS0wEQlEccSfB2z51EESFW4Xy6HJauyOxuVAOleykCeE2CiBAUXA&s.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1847668

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Care to point me where you see that price for a TECO? Google shows me more like $3-400. What about the LAPOND SVD-ES for $95 on Amazon?
            sorry, I meant $100 MORE! lol

Here you go - $173 for a Teco 510, 2HP. That's about $100 more than junk https://dealerselectric.com/L510-202-H1-N.asp

The switch logic you show is "standard" 3 wire interface. Any decent vfd will support that.
            Last edited by lakeside53; 01-08-2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Here you go - $173 for a Teco 510, 2HP. That's about $100 more than junk https://dealerselectric.com/L510-202-H1-N.asp

The switch logic you show is "standard" 3 wire interface. Any decent vfd will support that.
              Do you have reason to believe the Lapond is junk other than the price? Its high Amazon reviews seem credible according to sites like Fakespot. And like I said, my Toshiba could not do that config, I checked with the mfr.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Do you have reason to believe the Lapond is junk other than the price? Its high Amazon reviews seem credible according to sites like Fakespot. And like I said, my Toshiba could not do that config, I checked with the mfr.
                manual would be the first "proof"
                Worth checking if it is clearly written and understandable.

AFAIK chinese are making even copies of the Huanyangs and I'm not sure if their bad reputation is based on "orginals" or copies.
                Doesn't really matter if there is no way to tell what is original or copy tho..

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

manual would be the first "proof"
                  Worth checking if it is clearly written and understandable.
                  In that case I would despair. Even good products have manuals that are bad translations of poorly written tech-speak. I am always astonished that people don't get a native english speaker to proof their work, whether it is a manual or a sign on a store.

Comment

I have a Lapond that I ordered after getting the manual sent via email. The manual was great, as were the reviews, so I went for it. It's been great on my lathe and is very flexible in the external controls wiring. I'm using the 3hp version on a 2HP motor so there is some cushion built in. The Lapond supports a braking resistor, which I wanted for my lathe. The Teco L510 does not unless is a 460V unit. To get a "reputable" brand with braking resistor support adds significantly to the cost, making the Lapond more attractive. The only complaint I have with it is the wiring terminals are small, but I'd definitely buy another one.
                    Last edited by JCByrd24; 01-08-2020, 01:49 PM. Reason: Clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by JCByrd24 View Post
                      I have a Lapond that I ordered after getting the manual sent via email. The manual was great, as were the reviews, so I went for it. It's been great on my lathe and is very flexible in the external controls wiring. I'm using the 3hp version on a 2HP motor so there is some cushion built in. The Lapond supports a braking resistor, which I wanted for my lathe. The Teco L510 does not unless is a 460V unit. To get a "reputable" brand with braking resistor support adds significantly to the cost, making the Lapond more attractive. The only complaint I have with it is the wiring terminals are small, but I'd definitely buy another one.
                      Awesome review, thanks so much! Do you still have the manual PDF? Could you upload it? I think you can attach it here.

Comment

I think I do I'll try to remember to check tonight when I get home.

Comment

CRAP!
                          I just went with another Hitachi WJ200 for an extra C note for a "not-really-deserving" machine...I guess because it's what I know.

Len

Comment

So there's like a $35 upgrade from the $95 Lapond to one that can take braking resistors. I guess even if I haven't used them yet, and don't see the need now since the mill stops in 3 seconds from top speed, having the capability is wise, no?

Comment

I don't see the need on a mill unless you want quick reversing. The VFD without external resistor still has the ability to do some limited breaking (controlled deceleration), which on a mill is more usable because there's usually much less inertia than a lathe. If it attempts to decelerate too fast it'll go over voltage and fault and you'd need to set the decel rate slower.

My manual would be for the upgraded version.
                              Last edited by JCByrd24; 01-08-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X