Rivet identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivet identification

I picked up a few pounds of "aircraft" rivets for cheap. Most are solid aluminum, but I have 3 boxes of some I've never seen before, and was hoping someone could help figure them out. The box says:

28NS CR579R6/6
    CHERRY RIVETS
    QTY-25
    Method-3
    12 Aug 59

All the other boxes all have Airforce and Navy part numbers, so I assume these came from the same place. Any googling I have done on the part numbers doesn't come up with anything.

Thanks

Found this:
    http://www.cherryaerospace.com/doc/s...EW62mfBicMF0w2

Looks like theyre cadmium plated, probably wanna wash your hands now...

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
      Found this:
      http://www.cherryaerospace.com/doc/s...EW62mfBicMF0w2

Looks like theyre cadmium plated, probably wanna wash your hands now...
      Those are a slightly different model number, so I dont think it's the same. It says for cadmium plating, there is an "m" behind the 579, and mine have an "r" there.

What's the deal with the top having a knob as well? They seem to be self sealing rivets, but I haven't found any other rivets or tools with the same top.

I did wash my hands after handling them anyways, but I dont think they are cadmium plated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post
        I picked up a few pounds of "aircraft" rivets for cheap. Most are solid aluminum, but I have 3 boxes of some I've never seen before, and was hoping someone could help figure them out. The box says:

28NS CR579R6/6
        CHERRY RIVETS
        QTY-25
        Method-3
        12 Aug 59

All the other boxes all have Airforce and Navy part numbers, so I assume these came from the same place. Any googling I have done on the part numbers doesn't come up with anything.

Thanks
        Those are Cherry structural aircraft rivets. They need a special hydraulic gun and head to pull them. Self plugging. The one in your hand looks like its a steel rivet. I haven't seen those used in forty + years. Probably not going to find much if anything on them being obsolete for that length of time. I believe the 28NS if the puller head and the CR number is the Cherry part number.

Comment

Cherry rivets... I've used them before with a special pneumatic rivet gun. If they are how I remember them, their claim to fame is that they are as strong as a hard rivet for being a pop rivet. Not knowing better at the time, I used them to attach plastic wingtips on a friends Quicksilver. What I could find in his hangar, apparently very expensive?

Comment

Free education on how to put aircraft together and the fasteners touse here
            https://www.browntool.com/Listview

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Cherry rivets... I've used them before with a special pneumatic rivet gun. If they are how I remember them, their claim to fame is that they are as strong as a hard rivet for being a pop rivet. Not knowing better at the time, I used them to attach plastic wingtips on a friends Quicksilver. What I could find in his hangar, apparently very expensive?
              Yep about a buck apiece or more. Used a lot where you cannot get a bucking bar behind the rivet and in repairs for the same reason. Many types and sizes and just as strong or stronger than a rivet.

Comment

yup, cherry rivets. Those are not the structural ones though.
                Cherry is really a misnomer, there is Cherry the manufacturer, and there is cherry a 'style' of rivet called cherry.
                Cherry is not the one & only manufacturer of blind rivets.
                There is cherry, huck, hi-lock, olympic, and others.
                That is a plain cherry, basically just a aircraft pop rivet. it is not structural with out the locking ring to swage the center part into shank, that is a non-structural fastner.
                'Cherry-lock' is a structural fastener. it has a lock ring to hold the stem in place.
                The knob you see on top of the stem is what the tool grabs to pull the stem up into the shank, and the stem breaks off (flush) with the head if all the stars, moon, and planets all line up.
                There is hand held tooling for the regular aluminum cherry rivet, monel type is too hard to pull by hand.
                The only structural cherry rivet is the 'cherry-lock' version, and these too are available as aluminum or monel variants. 'Cherrylock' has a steel stem in all variants be they alum or monel in the body, and cherry lock has a serrated stem for tooling to grab & pull.
                The newer version of cherry-lock is cherrymax, these have a washer to help seat the lock ring.
                Last edited by Ringo; 01-09-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Check the markings on the aluminum rivets you got.
                  2017-T and 2024-T need to be kept frozen until use.
                  Len

Comment

thanks everyone. as far as i can tell, all the aluminum ones were 2117-T i believe. I'm not using them for anything where a failure could cause any damage or injury. they came from a surplus place thats going out of business. They gave me them for a $1/box. I dont remember the exact sizing designations, but all the aluminum ones i got are about 1/16" diameter for the shanks.

When i bought them, I had my 2 young kids with me, so i was more into what trouble they were getting into than what rivets i grabbed. thats how i ended up with 3 boxes of those pop rivets as well. One box of pop rivets has a similar part number, but is countersunk aluminum with the steel shaft. When i get a chance, i may see if they will work with my regular pop rivet tool if i cut the bulge off (not thats its really worth it when standard rivets are cheap enough).

Comment

Enjoyable. You folks sound like this old hat that used to work at Edwards back in the day. You O'l Rivet men. Oh! He used glue cause thats what black op planes are made from he said 28 years ago. I would have laughed if not getting a walk through of the Northrup plant in and around here. They were using water jets before they became public. Only way to cut the composites. I love the Industry JR
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                      X