Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Man From The Phillippines Builds His Own Lathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a5HTsYCSY

I know there will be some that will say, he should of done this or he could have done that.
    However I find it very inspirational that this young man showed a lot of resourcefulness and talent in his desire to own his own lathe.
    The kid has talent and I'm sure he will learn a lot from this project.

Looking at his channel and the rest of his videos I see he has some other interesting videos as well.
    He doesn't have a lot of material out there yet but with already close to 24 million total views and 183K subscribers I have to take my hat off to this young man!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

I realize it is a fruitless venture.,.,.,.,.
    but I still want to build a manual lathe of a specific design.
    It will largely follow the pattern of the Porter-Cable lathe,
    some of the original and some of the Carbo model.
    Think along the lines of a cross between a Rivett 608 and
    a Monarch 10EE. All just because I think it would be fun.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

I saw that show up yesterday and was going to watch it anyway.

While by the standards of lathes it's a lightweight there's no doubt that it's getting the job done. There's still more work to do on it such as adding index wheels and such. But he's got a way to turn metal now. And that's a pretty cool.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Don't worry, with that amount of hits, he will be able to buy one soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          I realize it is a fruitless venture.,.,.,.,.
          but I still want to build a manual lathe of a specific design.
          Think along the lines of a cross between a Rivett 608 and
          a Monarch 10EE. All just because I think it would be fun.

-Doozer
          Your idea of fun has set rather a high bar to exceed.

I do not have a 10EE, but I DO have a Rivett 608. The process of restoring it to accurate operation, starting with a damaged and worn set of nearly all the parts, is plenty enough for me. Yes, I do consider it fun, but I also want a working and very accurate machine when I am done. Yes, I have what I should need to accomplish the task, but that does not make it easy, just "less difficult".

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

One has to wonder about introducing chatter into those ball bearing linear slides - as in using the Y to face or part and the X just sitting there "fretting away" with nary a contact patch as in sphere against a small radius,,, yeah there's lots of them but it's not a 3-d printer either... just sayin...

Comment

His design is better thought out than some of the other homemade lathes I've seen. Kudos to him for going for it.

I don't think I've ever seen a marking-out gauge like this before:

Comment

He made a lathe that cuts metal, have to give him that. I admire the dogged determination and making a tool with what seems pretty limited resources deserves a tip of the hat.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-10-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a5HTsYCSY

The kid has talent and I'm sure he will learn a lot from this project.

Looking at his channel and the rest of his videos I see he has some other interesting videos as well.
                  He doesn't have a lot of material out there yet but with already close to 24 million total views and 183K subscribers I have to take my hat off to this young man!
                  I suspect his actual age would really surprise you. Filipinos, like many other populations in that region, always look MUCH younger to us than their real age.

Nevertheless, he does have a lot of talent and perseverance. His weld beads, especially; he's no stranger to an arc welder.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

I suspect his actual age would really surprise you. Filipinos, like many other populations in that region, always look MUCH younger to us than their real age.

Nevertheless, he does have a lot of talent and perseverance. His weld beads, especially; he's no stranger to an arc welder.
                    I totally agree, however I thought I caught a glimpse of his face in one of his videos which led me to believe that he was quite young.
                    Relatively speaking though, since for the last few decades everyone is a kid to me.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Anyone under 60 is young. Damn kids!

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

More than once I've thought about the idea of making my own smaller lathe that would be modeled after the Cowells lathe at a size similar to or just a slight bit larger than a Sherline or Taig. The goal would be a machine that would run primarily at speeds appropriate to 3/8" and smaller parts. With the real focus on very small parts. And the primary stock holding would be performed using collets. These days that would likely involve something like 12 or 16mm ER collets for the internal taper and a small 3 and 4 jaw chuck and small faceplate that screws onto the threads that are used by the ER clamping nut but with a nose register at the rear a bit past what the ER nut normally uses.

For some reason I just really like the looks of the Cowells with the single foot and tapering bed extending to the end. I also like the use of the rapid travel rack or switching in the longitudinal screw for fine work. To me it's simply a lathe at the sort of "clock maker's" size that seems to visually work for my tastes.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

This guy also built a scooter from an angle grinder and a 49cc 2 cycle engine (and other parts) from Banggood. They may be sponsoring his efforts due to his advertising them on YouTube, and there are special links to the items where he gets a percentage of the sale. He makes welding and other fabrication techniques look so easy! I gotta try my hand with my little HF buzz box some day, but it would be helpful to have someone assist me getting started.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I had to quit watching almost right away. That welded up bed, then the sound of the aluminum holders dragging over the bed, yikes-

I do give him credit for creating something he didn't have before, a working machine. Ingenuity, etc, yes.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I guess perhaps living in a country with an extreme shortage of machinery something like this "might" make sense,,, cuz im wondering what he's got into it with materials???

just the linear slide components are not cheap and a little used HF POS lathe might actually give it a run for it's "money" so wondering if some U-tube vids are created just to fool us some, Like "poor little rich kid" lol I mean he obviously had some other semi-expensive tools just to build it too,,, again not knocking it - but also my original questioning of the linear slide component holds, great for sliding and alignment purposes but as far as stagnant loading with "chatter" I think they would feel rough as hell after awhile in fact better choice might have just been sintered bronze bushings (with wipers of course)

Comment

Working...
                              X