Young Man From The Phillippines Builds His Own Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy View Post
    I have to take my hat off to this young man!
    I completely agree. This video was perfect on so many levels besides not having lame music in the background.

I applaud his work. Much, much better than I could think of doing.

Thanks for sharing the vid. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      I guess perhaps living in a country with an extreme shortage of machinery something like this "might" make sense,,, cuz im wondering what he's got into it with materials???

just the linear slide components are not cheap and a little used HF POS lathe might actually give it a run for it's "money" so wondering if some U-tube vids are created just to fool us some, Like "poor little rich kid" lol I mean he obviously had some other semi-expensive tools just to build it too,,, again not knocking it - but also my original questioning of the linear slide component holds, great for sliding and alignment purposes but as far as stagnant loading with "chatter" I think they would feel rough as hell after awhile in fact better choice might have just been sintered bronze bushings (with wipers of course)
      Don't dismiss round linear ways in machine tools. I had an Excello vertical mill that came fitted with a spindle wizard CNC table which used 1-1/4 round thompson rails for the ways. Never had any issues with it chattering.
      Also these days the Chinese linear rails are dirt cheap. I bought a set of 20mm x 1500mm rails including 8 bearings for $170 delivered last year.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Don't dismiss round linear ways in machine tools. I had an Excello vertical mill that came fitted with a spindle wizard CNC table which used 1-1/4 round thompson rails for the ways. Never had any issues with it chattering.
        There you go, bringing up Thompson Rails. Great rail slides, hard to beat. I had an X-Y table I gave away (sold) that had four bars. Nice rig. Good stuff. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I'm firmly on the side of "smart guy, well done" here. I'm sure we can all look at things we think he could have done differently / better, but I'm sure if he ever makes lathe v2, then he'll think of a lot of those things himself. So well done.

He was using something looking like a combination of a digital caliper and a set of odd legs for scribing a line parallel to an edge; what are they called, are they commercially available - or did he make his own from an old set of calipers (which wouldn't surprise me).

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

In the comments he says the materials were $500.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I believe I have seen the type of scriber he used in the video before on Ebay or perhaps on one of the other Chinese tool vendor sites.
              Was going to get one but thought to myself that I may as well carry on using one of my cheap disposable digital calipers instead, that's what they're for aren't they?

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Also these days the Chinese linear rails are dirt cheap. I bought a set of 20mm x 1500mm rails including 8 bearings for $170 delivered last year.
                No kidding, I had one of the same machines! Bandit controller with digital displays and blinking lights no CRT or screen. I cut a lot of parts on that machine and it was very accurate.

Comment

Round linear ways- got me thinking again about a lathe plan that I had designs for a while ago. Thanks for bringing that back into my head ( I think )
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                  X