OT new phone hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT new phone hookup

Ok, so I might be the last holdout- I was just given an IPhone6, and maybe- just maybe- I'll start to use it. But to begin with I don't have a charger. If I find a usb cable with an end that fits it, is it safe to plug it into the computer? Or do I need a specific cable for use with the phone?

On my desk I have one of those old-fashioned things called a telephone. It works great, doesn't need charging, and it does everything I want it to. Should I continue to resist this 'new' technology, or should I take the dive- ?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Yes, the USB cable just needs the correct male connector. Check with your current provider and make sure they will allow you to add that phone. Verizon won't allow an IPhone 5 or under and it might be 6 or under.

Yes, take the plunge. In addition to using it for phone calls and texting I personally wouldn't want to be without some of the other features. Going to take something apart? Phone right there to take pictures to help with reassembly. Need to send someone a picture of something - no problem. I've got about 10 different lists on the Notepad. One for shopping so I can remember all the things I need to buy on the next trip to town. One for Task List, one for task list for the animal rescue I support. Don't want to forget something that needs to be done at a certain time, no problem, just enter the info in the Calendar app and set an alarm to remind you. And that is just a couple of things for starters.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
      On my desk I have one of those old-fashioned things called a telephone. It works great, doesn't need charging, and it does everything I want it to. Should I continue to resist this 'new' technology, or should I take the dive- ?
      NO... Dont do it! Avert yer eyes .

I have one of them old fashion gizmos on my desk also. My is not rotary like yours might be but I do have some new tech attached to it. They call it a Modem. Makes neat musical sounds. I love it. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Resistance is futile. However... If you like to be able to dial (excuse me, "key in numbers") without taking the thing away from your ear or putting it on speaker... keep the desk phone. ("To do so and so, key in 3"...Oops while I took the phone down to see the f^%#! keypad to key that in, I missed the next thing the ^%$#! robot was trying to instruct me to do... ) If you like to be able to write notes by hand while keeping the handset in place with your shoulder (and don't tell me you never do that)... Keep the desk phone. If you don't want to find yourself cursing because Apple has forced an update on you that broke everything..., well maybe don't keep the desk phone but at least don't get an iPhone but something more generic.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Before doing anything attempt to hold that miserable hunk of plastic to your ear without using your hand for 10 minutes.

Next place the plastic crud on a strong bench and see how well it continues to work after being kissed with a chipping hammer.

How long will the ICrud whatever function when the power goes off across the region?

Look about at all the nonproductive human life forms who can't even follow a 3 step instruction any more. Do you want to mutate into one of them?

Mobile phone technology should have stopped with the Motorola TLD 1100 phone. It worked well and it had a rotary dial!

Comment

The apple phones use their own proprietary charging cables, but they will plug into just about any USB as long as it can provide the required current.

I've used smart phones since before they were introduced. I had a Palm Pilot (a computerized handheld personal organizer) that hooked to my cellphone for a data connection. So I'm probably not the most impartial person to advise you.

An iPhone or Android phone will provide an always on, always available camera, dictionary and source of machinist information. I find myself using it for things that used to require pulling out my copy of Machinerys Handbook. It also makes a decent music player, either via earphones or speakers.

Depending on your age, you might find one of the phones with a larger screen will be easier to use.

As to using apple vs android, the best advice I can give is this: If you use a mac, then iphone is a good bet. If you use a PC, the android might be better. Either way, if you have someone who is willing to help you day and night (like a kid) then it pays to get what that person uses.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Cell phone is the equivalent of a Star Trek Tricorder. Either make use of it, or don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                ….How long will the ICrud whatever function when the power goes off across the region?....
                I've got news for you.... Unless you are one of the very rare folks that has an old style of phone that does not have an AC power connection then your supposedly land line phones won't work either. If you have internet or TV and internet as well as phone over the same telephone carrier then you no longer have basic phone line service.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

We recently went through a regional power outage. Many of the cellular phone sites only had enough fuel for 12 hours or so. Others were still using old Bell System (AT&T) standards and had back up generators that ran for days.

Charging the cell phone was no problem. People without power charged them in their cars, just like we did in the Oregon blizzard last year.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I have Verizon FIOS, which includes TV, phone, and internet. They offer an optional battery backup that apparently keeps the optical cable interface powered during blackouts, to retain 911 service and other phone functions, but recently all services were down, and it was because of a actual broken cable. So I used my cell phone to contact them for repair service and updates. If you want truly reliable backup communications, get an ARRL license and a ham radio rig with battery or generator backup.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I have actual copper wire to the house with a rotary dial phone connected to it as well as a but set in the vehicle. I do not depend on "state of the art" systems that are frighteningly interdependent.
                      "Cell" sites are mandated to have 2 hours of battery. An hour would be a more accurate figure and I'll guarantee half of the contracted gensets will not show up at the tower or be able to connect because the person maintaining contracts was eliminated.

Ham radio is a possible alternative, and getting licensed is a walk in the park for Tech class if you can hook up a doorbell. QRZ.com has the practice tests on line, and you can buy a rig for under 50 bucks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Man didn't get this old by depending on the cloud. Old man watched quite a few clouds disappear over the years too.

Comment

Unless your'e ok with doing everything itunes or istore I'd scrap the iphone for an Android. I could not stand to use an iphone, but hey, lots do.

As for being a hold out. peace, its your existence. There's probably someone out there somewhere cutting keyways with a chisel, but man, a mill is so much easier . From emails to photos to notes to texts to calls I probably use mine 50x a day, well at least during the week.
                            Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-12-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

well, I'm 73 and got my first cellphone 2 years ago. I like it better than a landline and it is cheaper also (Xfinity offers free talk and text if you use their internet service - and I only talk and text, no data.).

The builtin camera is better than the dedicated camera I was using. Texting is more useful than I ever envisioned. I use WiFi around the house and use the phone for most internet searches; itis faster than booting up the computer for a simple search.

I travel and being in contact when away from home is nice.

And I don't have to listen to my kids calling me a Luddite anymore.

Avoid Apple. Even my daughter complains about the 'Golden Handcuffs' of Apple. Locked in and can't get out. My very useful new Android phone was $150. Could have been ~$35 if I bought a used one after someone else upgraded.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X