OT new phone hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

I've got news for you.... Unless you are one of the very rare folks that has an old style of phone that does not have an AC power connection .......
    Got copper to the house, always works.. Betcha the telco does not have the big batteries anymore though...... Yes we have cell phones, copper is for when we can't get a signal

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Was at the pub last night and saw someone having a problem getting their phone to do what they wanted. Thumbs flying, wrinkles of confusion forming on his face, oblivion to everything else going on in the room- finally was able to show me a picture- a morphed up image of someone. A crowd had gathered round and all the smiling faces were jockying to see what all the fuss was about. Now I have big eyes, fat lips, bear skin eyebrows, witches hair, and an attitude. Oh man, I need that! NOT.

Best advice I got started with a question- do you want this, do you want that, do you want this other thing- answer no I don't- then you'll hate having the bloody phone. My feeling also- I don't want it.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Got copper to the house, always works.. Betcha the telco does not have the big batteries anymore though...... Yes we have cell phones, copper is for when we can't get a signal
        You loose. Those big glass jar batterys are the filter for Talk Battery and without them the system freaks.
        40 hour a week job for a man to ride from exchange to exchange testing them and maintaining electrolyte level too.
        Another man rides around checking and testing the generators at each exchange as well.
        There are also still a few cablemen who can splice and reseal paper insulated lead cable. Damn few and most of them are working for contractors but the trade is still alive.

I have yet to find a device made since 95 that produces the voice quality phones had in 1955.

Comment

Figured that all got "value engineered" out of the system. Interesting.

Nobody home in our local exchange... they even sold off the parking lot.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Oh man, I need that! NOT.
            That's not the phone's fault

Comment

Well, that pretty much closes the thread. You asked the question and answered it too, so any other contributions are pretty much just spittin into the wind.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

No, not the phones fault. I got the answers I wanted- thank you everyone.

I actually feel quite relieved now.

I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Figured that all got "value engineered" out of the system. Interesting.

Nobody home in our local exchange... they even sold off the parking lot.
                  Look around for a SLC-96 miniexchange. It will be a green Hoffman box about 6 feet tall and however long they need. Brilliant unit designed to provide long offhook to dialtone times and other such features.

Comment

IPhone uses a special cable USB one, other for the phone flat with flat gold plated contacts. Do Not let it up grade to iOS 13.xxx its terrible and made mine almost un-useable.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Working...
                    X