X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID help

Can y’all help me Id these items?
    Attached Files

3 and 4, some kind of collets, 6 looks like some kind of floating reamer holder. Over all the tooling collection looks like it was used for very specific jobs. 7 maybe a morse taper collet.

Comment

Sorry for the blurry pics.

Comment

Yes, after I posted l saw 3 & 4 are 3AT collets.
        what is a floating reamer?

Comment

yeah NC got more than I would have in a category or two,

5 actually looks like it might be a cutter of some sort off of a horizontal miller, 9 might be some kind of home brew circular scribe, 2 might be a reamer of some sort, 1 is too far away to tell anything really...

Comment

Boomer, #5 must have been before your time. It's a truck king pin reamer. Both bushings get reamed to size and alignment in one operation on old solid front axles.

In post 2, the things with graduated heads look like DeVlieg Mocrobore components and the last two items in the row are toolbits for Everede boring bars. Very nice designs that use that triangular bit.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
              Boomer, #5 must have been before your time. It's a truck king pin reamer. Both bushings get reamed to size and alignment in one operation on old solid front axles.
              Wow yeah that makes sense in fact I think even the really old volkswagons had that same set up on their front ends and iv seen similar reamers for the bronze bushings,,, good call

Comment

Have you got an end view of 6 - it might be a tap holder if there is a square hole at the bottom inside, or a small collet holder.
                7 - does it have parallel or taper hole inside? Looks like a step down sleeve that might have been modified.
                1 looks like a bit of metal. 2 looks like a home made reamer - is it very slightly tapered? might be a clockmaker's broach.
                8/9 looks like a bore gauge
                Although the bits with a dial look like Devlieg style mine have a thread on the body of the tool but perhaps a different model.

Comment

#2 looks like a gun drill. #6 looks like a collet holder (ER?)

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
                    Yes, after I posted l saw 3 & 4 are 3AT collets.
                    what is a floating reamer?
                    Floating reamer holder, lets the reamer follow the hole however it wants while you feed it, in other words it doesn't hold it solidly, it just keeps it from turning.

Comment

7 might be a morse taper tap holder if it has a square socket at the bottom. They work real well when combined with a reversing VFD spindle on a drill press.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        1 is a very small insert boring bar. Didn't realize it would not show up better.
                        2 if home made is VERY well done. I will have to check for taper.
                        3 & 4 if someone has a need for these let me know. You pay the postage and they are yours.
                        5 makes total sense as my Dad was a line mechanic for part of his career.
                        6 has a flat as to take a tanged drill and has a nut on the end. I tried a drill tang and it fit like a saddle on a sow.
                        7 has a round hole and the end is cross slit.
                        8 says Ideal and something else that has been worn off enough I cannot read.
                        As for the small inserts, again if someone can use them let me know. If not they most likely will end up scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
                          #2 looks like a gun drill. #6 looks like a collet holder (ER?)
                          I was thinking that too. And a lot of that style of drill has a hole along the length for coolant which is plumbed in using a special holder that clamps onto the smaller shank end.

If 6 has a round hole with slits then I think you're looking at an ER collet chuck on a Morse taper shank. Remove the cap nut on the end and I bet it pulls out the collet. I'm guessing that the taper is MT2 by the looks of it so the ER collet is likely a 12 or 16mm size (the size of the "family" of collet not the hole for holding things). I think the family size is set by the OD of the taper in the main body. But someone will correct me if that's not the case.

I do believe that #1 is just some bit of scrap metal. Or a jig/arbor that someone made to do some job and it was done specifically for that one thing.
                          Last edited by BCRider; 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

7 with a slit would be for clamping some size of parallel shank into a large MT socket.

Comment

I think #7 might be a center drill driver for the tailstock.

Comment

Working...
                              X