Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darryl
    replied
    My good friend of many years said to me the other day 'when I win the lottery, you're getting a new shop for us to work in- 'cause that's what we like to do'. Bless her heart.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Originally posted by Boatman53 View Post
    My wife shared this with me and she is that kind of woman, and boats are very much part of my life.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	657E0131-6623-434D-9422-E12B3A39C7D1.png
Views:	97
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	1849647
    Jim
    I got one for you... Shortly after I got my retirement dream shops completed I had some friends over for tea and to show off the shops. And it was couples, not just the guys. We had one recently separated lady in the group as well.

So after the showing off with suitable oooooo's and ahhhh's we settled down to tea and snacks around the patio table. The recently separated lady mentioned something about the need to compromise and how so much area of the house dedicated for shop space would be an issue for "WHEN" I found another life partner... myself having been divorced for the second time and single for about 8 years at that point.

My brain was casting around for a suitable rejoinder when one of the other ladys replied "Nonsense, he had a dream and followed it through to a finish. It's marvelous". Or something along that line. Her hubby sat there giving me a knowing smile as if so say "... and that's why I love her". So understanding soul mates are out there.... I just need to find out where they hide.....

Leave a comment:

• Boatman53
    replied
    My wife shared this with me and she is that kind of woman, and boats are very much part of my life.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	657E0131-6623-434D-9422-E12B3A39C7D1.png
Views:	97
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	1849647
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Georgineer
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Only because most humans have a sense of curiosity and wonderment about things that can end their lives in the blink of an eye. It's why we can't help but gather around a rattlesnake, run towards some manner of disaster up until we realize "Oh SH....." and turn and go the other way and many other similar situations.
    That must be why I can't help making contentious comments at the dinner table.

George

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by lynnl View Post

Hmm, I didn't know anybody really read any of that drivel...
    Why not? Highly opinionated folks provide good material...

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hey Francis! Lighten up Mr. You get a lil excited on non Machining subjects. JR
    Hmm, I didn't know anybody really read any of that drivel...

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
    Over time I learned this method only works with a small percentage of females.
    Hey Francis! Lighten up Mr. You get a lil excited on non Machining subjects. JR

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Someplace back down the trail I learned the female has more communication paths between left and right brain than the male has. According to the presenter of this information the additional paths need to be moving data for some reason, so females discuss every dam minute detail before turning a screw. OK, kindly employ one path to hand me the tool I asked for and stay clear.
    Over time I learned this method only works with a small percentage of females.

It's sort of like when you're driving along and see a car with a flat tire beside the road surrounded by 4 females, all with devices in hand. Possibilities include stopping to put the spare on for them, a BAD idea. Normal male thinking is minimally 1 is on the Inturdnet looking at video of tire changing. Another might be calling AAA to come change the tire, a third is possibly calling someone at the destination to tell them of the delay. The 4th, who knows. Reality is every one of them is calling either the dummy paying her bills to come change the tire or calling another girl to see if she knows some man who will come and change the tire. It's just normal due to excess com channels needing to move data.

My darling has achieved some really high points in vehicle operation. She always drove in the garage because she couldn't back in. I once asked if she could back out why couldn't she just back in and drive out?? It was ruled an improper question. Did I not realize she had for 20 years lived within 15 miles of Mario Andretti and cared for members of the family? I hadn't known. Once I became aware I also understood she was speed qualified. I also realized I was done questioning.

I got up one morning to find my van missing. Turned out she had to drive it to work cause her car didn't start. Little check revealed she left the lights on. I just figured out how to access her battery and put the charger on.
    Since I'm a lout I didn't know as an Andretti qualified race driver she didn't eyeball her tires before getting in the car. Worse, my suggestion she do so was rebuffed with "Why should she, they do it at the shop when the car gets serviced. I survived by being smart enough to not speak farther.
    Oddly the pit crew didn't check her tires as she left for town, and rolled the tire off the rim turning onto the road. Amazingly a jack and portable air tank got it back to the garage and the spare went on. 1 new tire to replace the one shredded don't cost much.
    I was across town and got to drive 20 miles to the hospital the next time she left her lights on, cold damn day with a hurricane. Had to push the car back to get the jumpers on. Ms Andretti MSN was ready to turn the key as I clipped the lead on, probably 2 laps down. It made absolutely no sense to her to let the cold battery charge a few minutes before starting. As I stood there looking stupid I noticed the AAA sticker on her window. I asked. Of course she was a Member.
    Why didn't she call AAA for a jump? "do they do that too, I thought it was just for maps and such".. Again, I shut up.
    A year later I got the sobbing call, her ride was exploding.. Long story made short, radiator hose clamp let loose and the car was letting out steam. She was only 7 miles off on where she was, on the wrong road. That happens with racers who have Masters Degrees.

Mechanic told me it was about time for new brake lines on Ms Andretti's ride. She got a new Hyundai Sonata instead, that's a chapter by itself.

Ringydingy "you got the Chiropractor's number on your phone?" Why ask I? "I was headed there when the car started beeping and the dash says I've got a low tire. I'm pulling into a parking lot and I need you to call and cancel my appointment while you head here to help me change the tire. I should have the spare out by the time you get here." How about you just call AAA to come change the tire since I'm across the river and you pay AAA for that service? "Do they change tires too?" Did I mention she has a Masters? Naturally I roll in her direction, and true to her word her spare is on the ground behind her car. AAA pulls in 30 seconds behind me. Driver asks should he put the flat in the car or my van. Naturally that dirty tire went in the van so I could haul it to the shop She followed so it could be remounted because she will only drive 20 miles at reduced speed on a donut. I think she learned that from Mario himself.

I'm leaving crashes out to save typing. Crashes happen in racing.

Gentlemen, I assure you women are not a native species to the planet Earth. They come from a planet 180° from Earth called Oblivion. They are fun though.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    It's wonderful and scary at the same time.
    Only because most humans have a sense of curiosity and wonderment about things that can end their lives in the blink of an eye. It's why we can't help but gather around a rattlesnake, run towards some manner of disaster up until we realize "Oh SH....." and turn and go the other way and many other similar situations.

Leave a comment:

• Georgineer
    replied

Somewhere in between resides the LOOK. ...
    Interestingly, in our household it's the opposite way round because it's my wife and daughter who do The LookTM. I think it's hereditary, because we have a photo of my daughter at the age of four giving The LookTM to the school photographer. It's wonderful and scary at the same time.

George

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    There was an old volkswagon mechanic I use to know who had repair labor rates hanging on the wall, keep in mind this was a long time ago lol

Shop labor rates, $25.00 and hour, if you watch $35.00 if you watch and have suggestions and want to "help" $45.00 if you worked on it before you brought it to me $60.00

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied

And at the other end of the spectrum is 'switch seats with me so I can see it from your point of view'. That would have turned out better had I been wearing Kevlar when I told her how I saw it from that viewpoint.

Somewhere in between resides the LOOK. Honestly the LOOK is involuntary, and I am politely continuing to listen so I can understand the entire scope of the problem being presented. When she sees the LOOK she knows I had a solution at least 90 seconds back, and she shifts to pizzed. Generally the next words from her are "you have a plan, don't you? I can tell by the look on your face? Are you going to tell me? SPIT IT OUT!!!" From there it goes one of several routes from "why didn't I think of that" to "That will never work". The never work one generally winds up with her getting on the phone for girl consult followed by "can you type up a short version of your idea and email it to".
    Within 72 hours my basic idea has generally become THEIR plan properly refined and headed for publication as Policy.

Naturally, due to my chromozome makeup I am incapable of recognizing any of this unfolding.
    You've learned much in your time young Padawan.....

Leave a comment:

• bruedney
    replied
    I have that on the wall in my workshop

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post

That is top drawer solid gold right there...…
    And at the other end of the spectrum is 'switch seats with me so I can see it from your point of view'. That would have turned out better had I been wearing Kevlar when I told her how I saw it from that viewpoint.

Somewhere in between resides the LOOK. Honestly the LOOK is involuntary, and I am politely continuing to listen so I can understand the entire scope of the problem being presented. When she sees the LOOK she knows I had a solution at least 90 seconds back, and she shifts to pizzed. Generally the next words from her are "you have a plan, don't you? I can tell by the look on your face? Are you going to tell me? SPIT IT OUT!!!" From there it goes one of several routes from "why didn't I think of that" to "That will never work". The never work one generally winds up with her getting on the phone for girl consult followed by "can you type up a short version of your idea and email it to".
    Within 72 hours my basic idea has generally become THEIR plan properly refined and headed for publication as Policy.

Naturally, due to my chromozome makeup I am incapable of recognizing any of this unfolding.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    ….I am very careful when responding to "You have a suggestion?"
    That is top drawer solid gold right there...…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X