Additions to Junque pile! PCs etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additions to Junque pile! PCs etc.

Two items have been added to my junque pile, an HP desktop c 2004, XP Pro, which I have barely looked at and an IBM XSeries 206 server with a couple of SCSI drives, Server2000 software. Both password protected.

We can put the PC to useful work at the museum after the password is solved (we have the tools) but what use is an old server?

I assume I could put Ubuntu on the server except they seem to have somehow blocked the DVD drive.

Any suggestions?

John

P.S. We live some distance from the sea and we dont have a boat.

Get a different DVD drive for the server, or use a memory stick (thumb drive). I'm assuming you can enter the BIOS setup and tell it what to boot from.

Comment

I had an XP pro corporate platform some long time ago, and always thought that it was one of the best MS issues, plus you will be able to use all the hardware that windoze 10 "no longer supprts" O have 2 really good photo and negative scanners that are going to get a dedicated PC all of their own!
      Phil
      East Yorkshire.

Comment

I have a couple high quality IBM Luggables in inventory manufactured in the quality days before the silly hard drives came along and screwed the entire computer business up. The pure joys of 5¼ A & B floppies (A B & C copies for safety) and I may even have a virgin copy of 8 in 1 software. Those machines can sort a 250 item database in just half an hour while I cook and eat lunch. If only bubble dome memory had materialized what machines they would have been.

Comment

somehow blocked the DVD drive
          This is certainly something that can be solved, and will likely turn out to be simple. What are the symptoms? Powers on? Yes, but can't read? Or...?
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

If you have the server running use it to serve internet pages of information about the exhibits to other old pcs scattered around the museum and wirelessly to peoples phones. No need to ever connect it to the internet so no worry about hacking. You can make the wireless non password for visitors as they can't use it to stream or update their social media.

Comment

Old IT equipment tends to be energy hogs

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                Old IT equipment tends to be energy hogs
                Ya think?

Bryant disk drive (ca 1965)

Click image for larger version

Name:	102646212-05-04.jpg?w=600.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1849565

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Comment

What's a little electric use? Most of it turns to heat, and with the reduction in Solar flares we need heat or no crops will grow.

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post

Ya think?

Bryant disk drive (ca 1965)

Click image for larger version

Name:	102646212-05-04.jpg?w=600.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1849565
                      Imagine how much data could be stored on those platters if they were at today’s densities!

Comment

Here's a brochure with specs for that disk drive http://s3data.computerhistory.org/br....102646212.pdf

You had to warm it up for 15 minutes before writing to it, and MTBF was only 2,000 to 3,000 hours!

Bryant was a division of Ex-Cell-O Corporation. The same one that made the milling machines?
                        Last edited by pinstripe; 01-18-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

I assume I could put Ubuntu on the server except they seem to have somehow blocked the DVD drive.
                          Are you sure it's a DVD drive? 2004, might be a CD drive. Also, the software for the drive might be missing.

I kept a 2001 vintage HP running for years on Ubuntu Linux- the power supply finally died about four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                            Here's a brochure with specs for that disk drive http://s3data.computerhistory.org/br....102646212.pdf

You had to warm it up for 15 minutes before writing to it, and MTBF was only 2,000 to 3,000 hours!

Bryant was a division of Ex-Cell-O Corporation. The same one that made the milling machines?
                            Yep same Ex-Cell-O that made milling machines and much more, acquired Bryant Chucking Machines which became Bryant Computer Products in 1961.

Comment

Made cooler cases before and during WW-2 as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X