Additions to Junque pile! PCs etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post

Are you sure it's a DVD drive? 2004, might be a CD drive. Also, the software for the drive might be missing.

I kept a 2001 vintage HP running for years on Ubuntu Linux- the power supply finally died about four years ago.
    You might be right!

It will boot PC-Dos from a floppy and the SCSI drives show up. Still some things to try!

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post

Ya think?

Bryant disk drive (ca 1965)

Click image for larger version

Name:	102646212-05-04.jpg?w=600.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1849565
      Love the 'nerd bait' chick in the photo!

Yes, energy consumption is the problem with older stuff. I build fanless intergrated motherboard PCs with SSDs that use almost nothing on standby, and very little even at 100%. Can't stand a big box of 3 or 4 fans plus HDs running just for simple office work!

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Love the 'nerd bait' chick in the photo!

Yes, energy consumption is the problem with older stuff. I build fanless intergrated motherboard PCs with SSDs that use almost nothing on standby, and very little even at 100%. Can't stand a big box of 3 or 4 fans plus HDs running just for simple office work!
        Yer a youngun ain't ya.
        That's a hottie standing there in them FM Pumps with a hemline showing half a kneecap and bare shoulders. Just look at he haircut to say noting of the so in glasses with plastic frames. They tell you she's not only built, she has brains too and earns good pay.

She developed that butt to bar pose for a reason boy.

Comment

Have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard and in the psu for bulging and leaking before wasting any time on an old machine like that. When you remove the cover of the psu, remember there are powerful capacitors in there, just look, don't touch.
          I remember back in the late 70's, there was a picture of the first 1 gig hard drive, it was about a two foot cube, very compact compared to the earlier models, and what humungus capacity.
          Last edited by old mart; 01-18-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Yer a youngun ain't ya.
            That's a hottie standing there in them FM Pumps with a hemline showing half a kneecap and bare shoulders. Just look at he haircut to say noting of the so in glasses with plastic frames. They tell you she's not only built, she has brains too and earns good pay.

She developed that butt to bar pose for a reason boy.
            Yup, what I said, nerd bait. There's an entire cult built around these pics of a token woman at a time when they were rare as hen's teeth in tech. Were she in a bikini like in a motorhead mag, it wouldn't fly, though the Commodore mag goes for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	the-computer-girls-1967-cosmo-article-highlights-women-in-technology.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	1849764Click image for larger version  Name:	1579.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=2dd2c21db1141a66b9b0013b7f7bb25e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	1849765

Click image for larger version  Name:	computer-club-covercc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	561.4 KB ID:	1849768 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7067.jpg Views:	3 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	1849763

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
              I remember back in the late 70's, there was a picture of the first 1 gig hard drive, it was about a two foot cube, very compact compared to the earlier models, and what humungus capacity.
              There was a time when I thought that a 1 meg disk was a whole lot of capacity..... and when someone in the computer club (!!) set up a 5 meg disk, that was like a lifetime of data. The desktop I had at the time had a whopping 24K of working memory. That included OS, application program, and data.

Wasn't long before that when 4096 bytes was a respectable amount of core for a university or large business computer.......

And now I carry around a 128 gig thumb drive in my pocket, that has "quite a bit" of my data on it. The "working memory" in the present main laptop here has 16 gig. Not quite a million times more memory than the old desktop.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

There was a time when I thought that a 1 meg disk was a whole lot of capacity..... and when someone in the computer club (!!) set up a 5 meg disk, that was like a lifetime of data. The desktop I had at the time had a whopping 24K of working memory. That included OS, application program, and data.

Wasn't long before that when 4096 bytes was a respectable amount of core for a university or large business computer.......

And now I carry around a 128 gig thumb drive in my pocket, that has "quite a bit" of my data on it. The "working memory" in the present main laptop here has 16 gig. Not quite a million times more memory than the old desktop.
                What's funny is that 99% of what's filling those PC drives is cat pictures. Almost none of us has real "data" that large. 30 years of Quicken data for my business is 25 megs! That's like one RAW photo. And almost everyone has no concept of managing those family photos and videos. We just hoard them for the most part, and have a fraction on a slide show somewhere. "Big Data" is at least actual data from which meaning can be extracted, good luck doing that with billions of terabytes of cat and baby pictures.

One of my pet peeves is how niggardly banks are with storing our data in a way we can access. Seriously, they can't make more than 6 months of transactions available, and 2 years of statement PDFs? Google gives away gigabytes, and they don't get to play with my money like the bank.

I think my 1st HD was 20 megs on an AT. My 1st drive was a 5" floppy 128k for my Commodore64, which was way fancier than the tape drives. I'm rewatching Halt and Catch Fire, with my family this time, and the 80's gear is such a flashback!

Comment

The disks were made from magnesium with an iron coating. 1/2” thick but amazingly light. I took one apart. Like a 5 hp spindle motor.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

What's funny is that 99% of what's filling those PC drives is cat pictures. Almost none of us has real "data" that large. 30 years of Quicken data for my business is 25 megs! That's like one RAW photo. And almost everyone has no concept of managing those family photos and videos. We just hoard them for the most part, and have a fraction on a slide show somewhere. "Big Data" is at least actual data from which meaning can be extracted, good luck doing that with billions of terabytes of cat and baby pictures.

I have lots of CAD data, part data sheets, more CAD data, simulator results, customer project data files, manuals for equipment, yes, pics of all sorts, photographs from trips, family stuff, (even some photos of the local cats), video, Keyshot files and renderings, etc, etc. About 65 gig of it.

And it is surprising how often I need to go grubbing around in all that for something in particular. Photos are indexed.

The rest of the drive is either empty, or full of OS and application software, about another 65 gig.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

door stop, or put them on top of a pile of garbage to keep it from flying away

assuming you want to do a file server, get an ARM based SBC like an odroid HC2 or a raspberry pi, install openmediavault, and do the same thing but better with < 10W TDP and under $100 including a new SATA drive
                      Last edited by psomero; 01-19-2020, 08:50 AM.
                      -paul

Comment

Just last night I got to tearing down my 2 old XP machines for scrap. Saved the power supplies and hard drives (to destroy and for casting scrap), but the rest is going to the e waste pile at the local recycling center.

Last weekend I was cleaning out the last of my old stuff from my dads basement and found my old floppy disks and stuff from college. All my old labs, and course work scattered across a bunch of 3.5" disks. I've got a 64gb thumb drive on my keychain now that's actually smaller than my thumb. It's only that big because it physically needs to fit in a usb slot.

I could use those floppies for coasters I guess. Or the giant bulk pack of CDR and DVD-R I still have kicking around.

My uncle used to work for Sony back in the 90's and I remember him bringing a "memory stick" over when they first came out. 64mb on something THAT SMALL? Crazy. I've got a cup full of them around here somewhere. Time marches on....

Comment

I know someone who makes sculptures and art from old computer motherboards and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                            I know someone who makes sculptures and art from old computer motherboards and the like.
                            Years ago, my project team gave me a clock made from a PWB that was, at the time, the largest size they had laid out. It was the main board for an audio product that we brought in under cost and on time.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Google gives away gigabytes, and they don't get to play with my money like the bank.
                              Ah, yes, but Google makes more money from your data than the bank does from your money!
                              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

The free AOL disks made wonderful cheap short life mirrors to look behind and inside of vessels too. Used with an 1156 bulb they also made good 12 volt work lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X