SV Seeker accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

What are you talking about??? His safety rules are that YOU are responsible for YOUR own safety.
    Makes sense to me. What is your problem with that???

-Doozer
    Some people believe its important to pass on their experience both in technical work as well and safety. In mentoring many young people in dangerous work I felt my highest calling was to pass on my knowledge and concern to keep them safe and impress them with the hows and whys so they could also pass that experience on one day. I would much rather have someone keep his hand or eyes than learn how to weld. My Father once told me "the cheapest experience you will ever gain is someones else's". But to each his own.

Comment

What has to be rattling through your empty skull to think that this was a good idea? Is you tube viewer revenue down that much that he had to come up with a get clicks fast scheme to drum up enough money so this build a boat in the driveway plan doesn't end up like everybody else's boat in a driveway plan? I thought the original video was fishy as hell, but bit my tongue. Almost glad in a way that my initial instincts were right. The tipping point for me was the talk with the "doctor" about how he was casually talking about how they were thinking about doing an emergency surgery to relive the pressure and swelling on the brain. That's something a surgeons won't sit there and talk about to some random friend with a camera. They will be in the OR just doing it. They might talk about it AFTER. I didn't watch but 20 second of that, and have no need to watch the apology video.

Either way, he's an idiot. And everybody who thought this was a good idea is an idiot too. Brain injuries aren't a joke.

Comment

Horseplay has no place on a jobsite.. I don't put up with it, no need to get hurt at work..

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

And he deleted the original video. He has radically changed his tune, no doubt due to the number of bad comments and people unsubscribing. The latest video is nothing but damage control. It was a VERY bad idea and waiting a full day to disclose it was a hoax made it even worse. Personally, I hope his subscriber numbers continue to fall.
          And that's just it, the people who subscribe and watch his stuff aren't doing it for stupid antics. There are plenty of idiot channels on Youtube design by and built for idiots, the world doesn't need one more.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            What has to be rattling through your empty skull to think that this was a good idea? Is you tube viewer revenue down that much that he had to come up with a get clicks fast scheme to drum up enough money so this build a boat in the driveway plan doesn't end up like everybody else's boat in a driveway plan? I thought the original video was fishy as hell, but bit my tongue. Almost glad in a way that my initial instincts were right. The tipping point for me was the talk with the "doctor" about how he was casually talking about how they were thinking about doing an emergency surgery to relive the pressure and swelling on the brain. That's something a surgeons won't sit there and talk about to some random friend with a camera. They will be in the OR just doing it. They might talk about it AFTER. I didn't watch but 20 second of that, and have no need to watch the apology video.

Either way, he's an idiot. And everybody who thought this was a good idea is an idiot too. Brain injuries aren't a joke.
            That's a good point, life sucks enough sometimes, why add to it, especially something fake???

Comment

Lost about 20% of his Patreon money https://graphtreon.com/creator/svseeker

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                Lost about 20% of his Patreon money https://graphtreon.com/creator/svseeker
                Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  Horseplay has no place on a jobsite.. I don't put up with it, no need to get hurt at work..
                  When it is your jobsite, you can do what you want.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

When it is your jobsite, you can do what you want.

-D
                    obviously, thats what he's doing. However being able to doesn't mean it will end well for him or is an intelligent approach. He's got other people working there, paid or volunteer, unclear whether that matters much if something goes wrong. I'm all for self responsibility and a lot of what we have today probably seems like trying to overcome stupidity, but the liability is real in today's world and and the only way to mitigate that is to show you did all things you could do make the site safe. Contrary to how we might with the world worked, you have to take responsibility for peoples safety on your job.

The bit of of grey is employee/volunteer, but they are still doing work for him. Do you think "Its my property I can do what I want" is going go over well at the Coroners inquiry?
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-24-2020, 03:50 PM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Nobody was working. It was a movie set with prop explosions.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

-D
                        So you're saying that actors and film personnel are not actually working when filming shows?

Humor is always going to be subjective. But SOME types of humor, such as the folks that walk down the street and randomly punch someone full in the face then run away or those that fake explosions and serious injury, cross a lot of social boundaries. These sort of pranks alienize far more than they draw in.

They are obviously realizing that they crossed the line. And consider too for each that has withdrawn their Patreon support and that has unsubscribed I bet there's a few others that won't go to the extent of unsubscribing but will be put off enough to not watch the videos any longer.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

-D
                          How's that? I thought his video series was of himself and a bunch of people building something boat like
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Not the day they made the hoax video.
                            Movies have explosions all the time.

-D
                            DZER

Comment

My friend and wife and I were actually there in February last year to help on the boat. First thing before you get to see the boat is sign a liability form to protect him, which should be done anyway.
                              our experience didn’t go well, he wanted help designing the hydraulics system, my friend and I have approx at least 75 years combined experience working on and repair of hydraulics systems. We kinda know what works and what wont. The way he has it designed if it works at all it will never be right.
                              in the end he told us we dident know what we were talking about. All I can say at this point is we will see how it works out.
                              in the end we had a good time, Doug took us to some nice places to eat and all ways pickup the tab. Wife and I stayed in his little apartment while there, very comfortable.

in the end it was an okay trip, I really wanted to be a part fo it. But after being belittled on camera for trying to change his plan, I problally wont be going back.

Comment

Just noticed the “what are you talking about” tim ?

ok... the first one that comes to mind is when he spends 10 minutes on a video telling everyone that grinding wheels don’t ever explode. He’s telling the audience that all these warnings about standing to the side of a pedestal grinder are pure garbage. Since he’s never seen one explode and doesn’t know anyone who first hand experienced a grinding wheel explode.... that it’s all fake warnings.
                                Second thing... he allowed his grandson who couldn’t have been 8 years old....play around 20’ up in the air on a steel deck of a boat without railings.
                                Maybe I’m just cautious because I’ve met experienced roofers who fell off a roof and landed on their butt.... and they were now in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.
                                Doug also yacked about how angle grinders don’t need safety gaurds. Look....I have no problem with what anyone does in their shop. If they want to have a huge beard.... loose long sleeve shirts....and machine something on their lathe with their eyes closed....so be it.
                                But DON’t make a video telling 15 y/o kids that lathes don’t hurt you so all those rules don’t matter. Don’t tell them leave the chuck key in the chuck...because even if you start the chuck....nothing happens anyway other than a key on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X