How Much Clamping Force does Vise Have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

NO, absolutely not. You MUST build a hydraulic trailer tongue scale like minimally 1000 other Inturdnet people.
    sorry... I forgot I need to make it way more complex than needed, and argue it's a requirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
      As Topic reads,curious to know how much force a 1-1/8" x 5tpi Acme thread on Shaper Vise would put out
      Well stop doing that first of all. There are plenty of other vises that use threads also as to not wreck might be a tool not worthe breaking.

Jusy saying some if not most are usefull to the shapers they go to. Wreck no vise and do a strain gage test. No strain gages with the very modern folks heer?

Oh well, I would have asked them. Wreck a vise I guess. JR

Comment

I have no plans of wrecking any Vises ,they will be tensioned same as daily use,no extra leverage tools will be used.I don't see harm in using a Shaper Vise on a Drill Press.
        As ones had mentioned it may be only 50-70% of actual max force,have been curious on Arbor Press rating as well especially the Big Dake will see if it can do 25 ton,will post finding when I get it done.
        Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 01-23-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
          I would think the maximum theoretical mechanical advantage would be one turn of 10" x PI = 31.4" / 0.2" lead per turn, or 157:1, so 80 pounds would be a force of 12560 pounds.
          You dropped a factor of two: 2 * pi * r / L

Practically, I would expect somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 that force. About four tons.
          As Johansen mentioned, if the losses were that low the vise wouldn't hold tension. The "fudge" factor is probably quite a bit lower than 1/2. (Maybe 1/10?)

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Well stop doing that first of all. There are plenty of other vises that use threads also as to not wreck might be a tool not worthe breaking.

Jusy saying some if not most are usefull to the shapers they go to. Wreck no vise and do a strain gage test. No strain gages with the very modern folks heer?

Oh well, I would have asked them. Wreck a vise I guess. JR
            Clamping a load cell in the vise is no different than clamping a work piece. There's no reason to think it would wreck the vise.

As to the previous comments, direct measurement with a load cell of some sort is way more accurate than any calculations.

Comment

Working...
            X