Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial indicator tip question.

Hi Group,

I got these a few years ago and didn't have anything to use them with. I recently got an inexpensive (HF) dial indicator 1" travel and tried to thread some of these into the end, some went and others (actually most) did not thread into the plunger.
    Question is, do these tips come in varied threads or is it just the HF indicator not well tapped. I didn't measure the threads on any of them, but maybe that's what my problem is if there is any.
    Thought I'd ask here first to see what you all have to say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_184538463.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	985.9 KB
ID:	1850669Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_184444965.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1850670Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_184500064.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1850671

Look forward to your comments.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

I have an inexpensive, import set of tips and they all fit just fine on all of my DIs that I have tried them on. But that's mostly imported DIs.

One thing that I learned about Starrett is that they DO use proprietary threads. I have a couple of planer style height gauges, one imported and the other Starrett. They both accepts accessories, mounted with a screw. The Chinese import uses a standard, inch screw thread. The Starrett's thread is completely non standard. And NO, it is not a little used but standard size, like a #7.

I called and talked to them about it and they confessed that it was not a standard thread. They wanted you to only be able to buy THEIR accessories. They didn't say that, but when I did they did not waste even a single breath denying it. And they would not tell me what the thread specs were. I just had to rely on my own measurements. Needless to say, I have made more accessories for the import one.

I have little doubt that you have a non standard thread there.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Hrm. Looking closely at the pics, those are Starett items, correct? What Paul says. You could sell one of those for enough to buy half a dozen import jobs from Shars.

FWIW I decided to "standardize" on Federal indicators for just this reason, and the fact they're built like tanks.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

HI Guys,

I assume (and we know what that makes me), since the rings are Starett and all of the tips fit into them with no problem, Paul's correct. Seriously though, I'm a HSM hobbyist and probably wouldn't use but 1 or 2 over my life time, so what would they be worth to someone that is a real machinist? Ebay them or local Craigslist?

TX
        Mr fixit for the family
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
          HI Guys,

I assume (and we know what that makes me), since the rings are Starett and all of the tips fit into them with no problem, Paul's correct. Seriously though, I'm a HSM hobbyist and probably wouldn't use but 1 or 2 over my life time, so what would they be worth to someone that is a real machinist? Ebay them or local Craigslist?

TX
          Mr fixit for the family
          Chris
          I honestly don't know. I've seen them on ebay with all the tips like you have, for anywhere between $50 and $200. They're worth whatever somebody will pay. Some people are Starrett freaks and will collect nothing but Starrett.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Put them on ebay, or practical machinist. No idea what somebody would pay for them, but guys love collecting Starrett stuff. I've got some import ones I bought years ago. I get into weird setups on the mill all the time. Not once have I had a need to break them out lol. I did use the small bent rod tip on a checking fixture we built years ago to collect variable data from a plastic part. Indicator had to go in the port and reach around a feature on the part to check another surface. The operator had to insert the indicator and rotate the tip up into place to check the part. Was a bit finicky, but was much cheaper than the alternative of a custom made slide that flipped up into place.

Comment

I've made numerous tips and tip extensions for (non-Starrett) DIs and in all cases the thread was 4-48. I know that because I had to buy a 4-48 tap and die to make them.
              Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

My import and my my brand name tips fit all of my indicators equally well.

My indicators are Starrett, Fowler, Mitutoyo, and Federal.

Comment

You could find out what thread the Starrett tips are and get a plug (bottoming) tap to clean up the indicator threads. There must be a thread that's similar.
                  Last edited by old mart; 01-23-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Those are nice tips. But they aren't real popular to buy or own even amongst "pros", (whoever that might be), because you either just make due with whatever is on the DI, or you make that special one you need.

I got Starrett indicators, but I've never felt the need to own any extra tips for them. Still, if you don't have a Starrett indicator, I'd sell them just to free up the space.
                    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                      , so what would they be worth to someone that is a real machinist? Ebay them or local Craigslist?
                      )
                      a good "indicator" of worth is to just look at ebay completed sales, adjust as required https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                      Not once have I had a need to break them out lol. .
                      Likewise, forgot they were there until this thread. Should be in the drawer-holder-down section of the catalogue
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        Likewise, forgot they were there until this thread. Should be in the drawer-holder-down section of the catalogue
                        I bet that would make an interesting thread. We all post pictures of those toolbox dust bunnies that we had to have at the time of purchase, but haven't seen the light of day in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

I bet that would make an interesting thread. We all post pictures of those toolbox dust bunnies that we had to have at the time of purchase, but haven't seen the light of day in years.
                          lol, There is merit in simplicity. After decades of gathering like a crazed tool squirrel, I don't think my work is any better or that its more fun. Faster and more efficient maybe and it has been a bit of sport wheeling and dealing to build it up.

I think I might take the tool drawer dust bunny cup. On a good day I can muster the psychological umph for an electrifying have to have simply by being aware of a tool I don't possess.

....Like that two axis sine plate micrometer microscope stage.....yup, sure use than one a lot, don't forget about the 3-4" thread mic, groove snap gauges or 36" square
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I have at least two different thread types for my DI tips.
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                            X