Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these Digital Phase Shifters any good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these Digital Phase Shifters any good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2331.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	694.7 KB
ID:	1850830 Seen these on Amazon the claim full 3 Phase power at rated RPM.

Hi TTT,

This looks like a static phase converter just like phase-o-matic offers for almost the same price & USA made. You can check on Amazon and find at a lower price a true VFD that would give you more control options, like speed control, braking, E-stop, etc, vs this product just running 1/220v to 3/220v but if size or ease of setup is your requirement I'd say OK. In reading the spec sheet it did say Semi-permanent life time, not sure what that means, and the ones I looked at were not available, so not sure what that means either.

Let us know what you end up doing, as we a learn from each others experiences, good or bad.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

Chris if I read correctly once motor spins,3rd leg of 3 Phase is powered somehow to give full power to motor which static ones you only get 2/3 power I think.
      If it works it's a cheap route to go for some applications that you don't need any other functions other than converting power.

Comment

With the motor running on 2 out of 3 phases, I'd think it wouldn't be as smooth?

Comment

Phase Perfect is the standard for such digital convertors
          Must be a Chinese variation
          Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            With the motor running on 2 out of 3 phases, I'd think it wouldn't be as smooth?
            If I read it correctly once motor spins a third Phase magically comes on lol! They have stock on them at Amazon.ca

A freind who just got some 3 ph machines said his past coworker that does electrical controls in Oilfeild says there is Digital converters to go1ph to 3ph.He said their not VFD or RPC,first time that I've heard of them.

Comment

The "digital" ones are just static converters.

"Digital" refers to them automagically changing the "run" capacitor as the load changes, to maintain a decent performance. That control is "digital" (microprocessor).

That would be ONE out of three..... You are thinking WYE but the connection is Delta with just two wires across US 240V.
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Also note that they have a "Semi-permanent lifetime"! What's not to love!

Comment

I can't comment on that particular brand, but if your question is a generic one about phase changers in general, well, I have two Chinese 1-to-3-phase 1Hp VFDs in my shop, bought via Ali Express. They are 230 volts in and out.
                  The mill/drill and the lathe each run beautifully at all sorts of revs.
                  These VFDs are surprisingly sophisticated for such cheap stuff (NZ$104 each, about US$68, freight free), and I particularly appreciate the ability to rev up or down at the quick turn of a knob, with a digital speed read-out. Reversing when threading is also dead simple and quick.
                  The only downside has been that the comprehensive instruction manual was entirely in Chinese. Given that there are over 150 different parameters to screw up, this was a bit of a drawback, but fortunately a more customer-orientated vendor (also on Ali Express) had published a Chinglish translation.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

"Digital" refers to them automagically changing the "run" capacitor as the load changes, to maintain a decent performance. That control is "digital" (microprocessor).

That would be ONE out of three..... You are thinking WYE but the connection is Delta with just two wires across US 240V.
                    Thats right, and 120v is actually split phase.

Comment

In trying to think of any way a RPC or SPC is better than a VFD, the only thing I can think of is you can run a lot of motors off of one phase converter, but each tool needs a VFD unless you want to get real fancy with some switching or plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Tiers you will have to excuse my lack of electrical savvy,but will these only make 2/3 power like a non Digital static converter.

Comment

In theory it will do better then a "normal" static converter, but hard to know how much across varying conditions.

Nomenclature.. careful... "safely develop power" is better than "make power". They will "make" whatever you load them to until you collapse the field, stall or overhead and burn up. I don't know where the 2/3 comes from (they will develop 1.x if you load them)... but safely it's closer to 50% of that at three phase in most cases. If you follow the Nema derating recommendation for unbalanced currents, it can be as low as 30%. Fuse/limit to no more than the name plate FLA is reasonably safe.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 01-23-2020, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Thats right, and 120v is actually split phase.
                            Not when you just use 2 wires of the 220

No, we ain't going there...........
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-23-2020, 11:48 PM.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                              In trying to think of any way a RPC or SPC is better than a VFD, the only thing I can think of is you can run a lot of motors off of one phase converter, but each tool needs a VFD unless you want to get real fancy with some switching or plugs.
                              If you plug reverse ("instant" direction change) your spindle, RPC, PP or three phase will work; VFD will not. It's not hard to run multiple tools off a single VFD - many allow multiple motor profiles. If you want to run modbus or whatever supported from a laptop, you can remap your vfd completely in seconds when changing machines. I prefer 1 dedicated to each, but I did put an external 3 phase plug output (motor plug) on the back of a couple for test purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X