Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring in a TP4056 to bypass broken micro USB on phone

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-10pc-TP...PTMmvQGL2okUAg

Could I splice the output of this PCB to charge my phone with the battery connected to the motherboard? It will charge fine if I disconnect the battery but I'm concerned it may damage the phone's board if the battery is connected while charging. It's a Moto G4

I don't want to chance damaging the board re-soldering a new micro usb port.

not 100% sure, but should be fine. I use those on my bike lights and they're perfectly happy being on while plugged into the charger. Where are you going to put it though? They're a bit over an inch square.

Comment

Epoxy it on the back, I don't use the phone that much and have a backup Redmi 7A

Comment

Wouldn't the exposed TP4056 be very vulnerable by being out in the open on the back?
        Or are you completely encapsulating the board in epoxy?

As to whether it would be safe to have the battery being charged in situ I would think not but I'll leave that question to the electronics experts, which I'm certainly not.

As to use of the TP4056, be aware that there are two versions of this board, one without battery protection and one with a battery protection circuit on board. I have always used the TP4056 with the battery protection feature. Both should be available with either micro or mini usb connectivity and are priced pretty much the same for all intents and purpose.
        Bare in mind though that the board has a slightly larger footprint.

http://acoptex.com/project/9446/basi....8uZUDEy6.dpbs

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

If the phone is on, it will be a parasitic load on the charger, so charging will be slower. The phone would see a voltage higher than that of the battery itself, but that would probably be the case with normal charging.

Ed
          For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Wouldn't the exposed TP4056 be very vulnerable by being out in the open on the back?
            Or are you completely encapsulating the board in epoxy?
            Either that or place it beside a phone grip ring to minimize change of damage

Comment

Working...
            X