A proper spindle rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

The University had hired Jan, who was an old Dutch machinist to oversee the student machine shop. He was a mostly happy old guy, but every now and then one of us would be working on one of the mills or lathes or something and he'd come up behind and exclaim "KLOODSACK" .. He would tell us to turn off the machine. Then he would hug the machine and tell it he was sorry. After he comforted the machine in Dutch, he would turn to the violator and patiently, quietly, and with great restraint explain just how bad we had been messing up. He always looked so saaaaad when he was explain our mess ups. He never seemed to get mad, but somehow his being sad made us feel much worse...

The guy was meticulous in his working habits. When he was working the area was always sparkling clean, and I swear that when he was working on the lathe not only were the chips all 6's and 9's... the 6's fell in line order on the right and the 9's fell in line order on the left.

When a student finished up for the day he would ask "Is everything clean?", and we would promise that it was. Then he would look sadly at us and say "Really?" and so we'd go back and find some small chips tucked away in back corners. Then he would say "You are a good boy...", even to the older grad students and post docs.
    If Jan was so meticulous about machine care a school shop was the wrong place to be !!

JL..................

Comment

The pliers didn't bother me, he was putting dowel pins into the holes, for BOTH jaws. Those pliers never touched the machine tool.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
        The pliers didn't bother me, he was putting dowel pins into the holes, for BOTH jaws. Those pliers never touched the machine tool.
        I'm so happy that somebody else notices important details like that, it gets lonely sometimes
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

He is usually so factual & precise with his narration that he really had me going with the "...made from the tooth of a woolly mastadon" comment (or whatever he said.) I sprayed beer all over my keyboard!
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            I'm glad someone was paying attention.
            Toolznthings

Comment

Originally posted by toolznthings View Post

I'm glad someone was paying attention.
              you and me both... he had the pins "hooked" behind the back teeth of the jaws

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

you and me both... he had the pins "hooked" behind the back teeth of the jaws
                I was paying attention. Look at the video about 12:15 where he just starts to grab the nut with the pliers.
                You can see some bite marks in the tape.
                If I were to use pliers like that I would cut a radius groove that fits the dowel pin in each jaw so they seat over the dowel pin rather than relying on the narrow spacing of the jaw grooves to grab the top of the dowel.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  I was paying attention. Look at the video about 12:15 where he just starts to grab the nut with the pliers.
                  You can see some bite marks in the tape.
                  If I were to use pliers like that I would cut a radius groove that fits the dowel pin in each jaw so they seat over the dowel pin rather than relying on the narrow spacing of the jaw grooves to grab the top of the dowel.

JL..............
                  Yeah that's probably why he used the back of the jaws instead of relying on the grooves. Same trick works on pipe. All the same I would rather see a proper adjustable hook spanner. Very common in shops that do a lot of hydraulics, McMaster has them.

Comment

Don't understand the pushing of the grease back into the bearing race. When those bearings were assembled, they would have been assembled with the proper measured amount. With an open race, any excess is probably going to get flung out when the spindle is at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                      Don't understand the pushing of the grease back into the bearing race. When those bearings were assembled, they would have been assembled with the proper measured amount. With an open race, any excess is probably going to get flung out when the spindle is at speed.
                      I believe he used the term "massaging"the grease. That's a new one for me. You can push all the grease into that bearing you want and it will just push it back out. Once the balls in the races are coated that's it.

JL...

Comment

Working...
                      X