Wear resistant Material.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear resistant Material.

I am Planning on making some Water Pump Shafts. They are 10 mm diameter. O-1 is too soft and it spins at 4 to 5 000 rpm in a seal with coolant . After a while it wears a groove causing Coolant problems with Leaking, Curious what material to use? Any ideas would be most welcome. Thank You

0-1 too soft? I guess your meaning the non-heat treated 0-1? cuz I use 0-1 for bearing race material... heat treated of course

want wear resistant ? try some heat treated 4130 or 4140 as long as this coolant has rust protection in it, same with the 0-1

Comment

Hardened M2 drill rod

Comment

Mike do mean annealed O1 is too soft? Surely not hardened O1? agree with AK, if you can't heat treat/grind, what about a HT chrome moly?
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Spin it down and slip a seal sleeve on so it can be replaced later at minimal cost. The sleeves are much cheaper than dealing with a shaft.

Comment

Look at you seal type also. Wearing a groove is often because the seal does not get lubricated by the coolant or whatever is inside it, too tight, or many other variables. Don't assume the "last guy" got it right.

A primer : https://www.plantengineering.com/art...o-shaft-seals/

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
              I am Planning on making some Water Pump Shafts. They are 10 mm diameter. O-1 is too soft and it spins at 4 to 5 000 rpm in a seal with coolant . After a while it wears a groove causing Coolant problems with Leaking, Curious what material to use? Any ideas would be most welcome. Thank You
              Where in the heck have you been! All these old heads popping out, I love it.

Stainless Steel. My friend rebuilt pumps, multi-sectional. I used to scrounge his shop. I have some pump shaft, he would like you to come get her. He has passed so passing on some of the stuff he gave me seems right..

Its a lil large at 1-3/4" Its good metal. SS is expensive but the return is you wont need to replace that shaft. JR

Comment

HA HA Boy what a pleasant surprise even a computer retard like myself can now post Pictures.I been making a ton of new Projects, building custom Billet Intakes, making 4 cylinder engines from three cylinder ones. Just finished my Involute Spline shafts. Made some head machine fixtures, My Rouche,. i am always super busy. Evan did some for me years ago, .
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Like I said Evan had posted some Photos when I built my Shop. Lots been going on. I always did so much but could never get into the Post Picture in another site and do the transfer stuff. No interest yet this works good for me, ha ha .I'm tinkering with my Motorbike Hobby, just built a custom indexer, also a cnc one, Our winters are very strange and now we are faced with the Corona virus serious times. I was reading how they all want us to go electric heat and I just switched to nat Gas WOW am I a Loser I had electric but 800 a month was too much for Hydro. maybe they wil ldelve into Neutrino Power. I worked atthe Neutrino lab underground 6800 feet in Lively for a while,. Interesting but not for me.

Comment

X2 agree with MattiJ on the M2 drill rod, pre hardened and ground
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Sounds Good. I also have to have a thread inside one end to remove said Pin. Have to look at heat treating costs as they are expensive and Im a fixed income senior. Here's a couple Pictures to explain what I had to do. There is also of course not much room in there. Its a 1998 Thundercat 1000 Triple Snowmobile. Thanks for the great advice Guys appreciated. !!
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

If you can use a seal with a larger ID, I have in the past used hardened drill bushings as wear sleeves. In extreme cases carbide drill bushings can also be used, those, never, ever wear out.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                          If you can use a seal with a larger ID, I have in the past used hardened drill bushings as wear sleeves. In extreme cases carbide drill bushings can also be used, those, never, ever wear out.
                          Now that's smart, I wish I thought of that. Gonna have to remember that one! Thanks!
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                          X