No announcement yet.

Bead blast or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an acetone soak an option? If the paint is already flaking I can't imagine it standing up to acetone

Comment

Soak it in a detergent solution, not too strong. This will soften the paint until you can rub it off. Most with your fingers, touch up with scotchbrite.

Comment

Lye is fine on aluminum, so long as the surface is not critical, since lye witll slightly etch it.

A little bit of lye is not going to make a big aluminum thing disappear..... urban legend material. The cases of disappearance you will find are cases where the smallish item was put into a BIG hot tank.... That WILL have enough lye in it to eat even a pressure cooker over time.

In this case, the tank part is safe. Lye is not good for the pump part.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I believe I will try out the lacquer thinner first, as I have got it at hand.

Comment

"Lye is fine on aluminum, so long as the surface is not critical, since lye witll slightly etch it.

A little bit of lye is not going to make a big aluminum thing disappear..... urban legend material. The cases of disappearance you will find are cases where the smallish item was put into a BIG hot tank.... That WILL have enough lye in it to eat even a pressure cooker over time."

Crap, hardly call a bucket "A big hot tank" and the solution was cold. And yes, a non critical surface, One shot lube pump??

Regard Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip View Post

Crap, hardly call a bucket "A big hot tank" and the solution was cold. And yes, a non critical surface, One shot lube pump??

Regard Ian.
              Having tried to use lye to deburr some small parts, and having seen it not touch the burrs, scary foaming action notwithstanding.....I am just not buying the idea of a "bucket" of solution eating up an entire aluminum pressure cooker weighing several pounds.

In any case, you do not leave the stuff in to soak for hours..... if it is going to clean it, it happens in a few minutes at most. Soaking is for multiple thick layers of well-adhered paint.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
              X