belt grinder shooting part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt grinder shooting part

Click image for larger version  Name:	0 056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	1851641Click image for larger version  Name:	0 057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1851640 i was grinding a 4mm part like on the picture, supported on that back corner. it somehow slipped out of my hands and got cought between the belt and the vertical support. apparently by using a 36 gritt belt the slot got enlarged by about 0.5mm, which i was not avare of. i remember having ground 3mm parts agains it before, so i dont know, maybe it was the not so sharp edges. anyway, the part got accelerated to 20-30 m/sec, bounced of the horizontal support, produced a hole it the 3mm plastic and diappeared. i couldnt find it, called junior for help (actually a bad idea, as he cant find his own stuff quite often) and he by chance found it on the top shelf, where i would never have looked for it. i was standing beside the grinder, but if there had been somebody else in the room he would probably got killed. the part would have hit his head. i was lucky it didnt take out the light, that would have been a big mess.

(is there a way to edit the title now?)
    Last edited by dian; 01-28-2020, 01:53 AM.

Originally posted by dian View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	0 056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	1851641Click image for larger version Name:	0 057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1851640 i was grinding a 4mm part like on the picture, supported on that back corner. it somehow slipped out of my hands and got cought between the belt and the vertical support. apparently by using a 36 gritt belt the slot got enlarged by about 0.5mm, which i was not avare of. i remember having ground 3mm parts agains it before, so i dont know, maybe it was the not so sharp edges. anyway, the part got accelerated to 20-30 m/sec, bounced of the horizontal support, produced a hole it the 3mm plastic and diappeared. i couldnt find it, called junior for help (actually a bad idea, as he cant find his own stuff quite often) and he by chance found it on the top shelf, where i would never have looked for it. i was standing beside the grinder, but if there had been somebody else in the room he would probably got killed. the part would have hit his head. i was lucky it didnt take out the light, that would have been a big mess.

(is there a way to edit the title now?)
    Been there, done that. Man vs machine, man lost. Now I use a large magnet to hold small parts and the skin on my fingers is growing back. Not magnetic? Us double sided tape and a wood block.

Comment

I used to own a Lortone lapidary sanding drum driven by a belt from below. Originally for polishing rock faces, it put an amazing edge on carbon steel blades. I was sharpening a hooked carpet knife with it once, wearing a face mask. Somehow the carpet knife got caught by an edge and the wheel spun it round and flung it right in my face. The face mask saved my eyes, but nothing saved my shorts. I kept that ruined face mask on the wall of my shop for years after that, just to remind me of shop safety.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
      X