No announcement yet.

What model is this South Bend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be concerned about the amount of maintenance the old girl got, she looks pretty parched...

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
      Does that make it the one they call 'Heavy Ten"
      there is several 10" models,
      the K is the heavy ten?
      I think the Heavy 10 is the 10L which had the large spindle bore (1-3/8). IIRC the 10K had the regular small bore like a 9A
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
        I would be concerned about the amount of maintenance the old girl got, she looks pretty parched...
        Yup, looks kinda dry

Comment

if the ways are good, do you think it worth looking closer?
          it a 2 hour drive for me?

Comment

if the ways are good, do you think it worth looking closer?
            it a 2 hour drive for me?
            Lets put it this way. If the ways are good, I'm up in Buffalo, over a thousand miles, and hell yeah I would drive that far
            for that price. I'm finding lathes in PA and Ohio for 2x as much and they don't look as good as this one.
            So, yeah if the ways are good....

Comment

I'm looking for a bigger spindle than my Logan 9x17. If that SB has in fact the same bore as the Logan, then I no longer need it.
              But as soon as I find the correct lathe, the Logan goes up for sale.
              And so does the 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas.

Comment

I'm looking for a bigger spindle than my Logan 9x17. If that SB has in fact the same bore as the Logan, then I no longer need it.
                But as soon as I find the correct lathe, the Logan goes up for sale.
                And so does the 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas.
                Hrm, I dunno. You'd have to get the seller to measure it. Can't hurt to get in touch with the guy and ask. 10K (light 10) = 3/4 bore? The "Heavy" 10 (10L) would be 1-3/8. Either way I would consider it a heck of a deal. Course the pics give me beer goggles.

Comment

OH, I think I got it now,
                  the light 10 would likely have a 9" 1 1/2-8 spindle?
                  the heavy 10 with bigger bore gets a D1 mount spindle?
                  hence the light vs heavy moniker?

Comment

OH, I think I got it now,
                    the light 10 would likely have a 9" 1 1/2-8 spindle?
                    the heavy 10 with bigger bore gets a D1 mount spindle?
                    hence the light vs heavy moniker?
                    Yup. The D1 spindles didn't come till later though if I remember right. The early heavy 10's (10L) still had a threaded spindle. The "L" stood for "large bore". They also had thicker castings etc. and just heavier duty construction. The Light 10 (10K) swaps a lot of parts with the 9A. Most likely almost all the stuff you have now will work on a 10K -- but then you don't get to have a large spindle.

Forgot to mention, if you can get the serial number from the owner, you can find out all about it either on the SB from on PM or get hold of Grizzly and they will copy the original bill of sale for you
                    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-29-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

you wanna come down here and get one of these, ?

Comment

I would suspect it has a larger bore as it was used by a Cue maker and that requires larger bores

Rich
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                          I would suspect it has a larger bore as it was used by a Cue maker and that requires larger bores

Rich
                          That would be one heck of a find at an amazing price if its true

Comment

somewhere on the internet I saw read an indication that this is a threaded nose larger than 1 1/2-8, maybe 2 1/4-8.
                            I got the numbers off this machine and now can't find that info.
                            this is a xxxxxKAX2

Does anyone have better info than I can find?

Comment

somewhere on the internet I saw read an indication that this is a threaded nose larger than 1 1/2-8, maybe 2 1/4-8.
                              I got the numbers off this machine and now can't find that info.
                              this is a xxxxxKAX2

Does anyone have better info than I can find?
                              Take a look here: https://www.southbendlathe.com/older...serial-numbers

Seems to be a taper lock spindle (L-0) special order, with QCGB, 2nd revision. Dunno much else tho. If it is the threaded spindle, then it would be bigger obviously (2-1/8) but then the serial letters don't match
                              Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-29-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The bore of a 10K lathe is 55/64". There were no other bore size options for this lathe.

Comment

Working...
                                X