What model is this South Bend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
    The bore of a 10K lathe is 55/64". There were no other bore size options for this lathe.
    Thx for the heads-up, I wasn't sure. I do know the 10L was 1-3/8

Comment

I do know there is something special about this machine. The X in the serial number is something 'special', but I cannot identify just what it is.
      I guess I just drive up there and take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
        I do know there is something special about this machine. The X in the serial number is something 'special', but I cannot identify just what it is.
        I guess I just drive up there and take a look.
        I'm wondering if that weird cross-slide is actually a taper attachment, it would make sense for a guy doing pool cues

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          I'm wondering if that weird cross-slide is actually a taper attachment, it would make sense for a guy doing pool cues
          It's not a taper attachment. The cross-slide arrangement doesn't show up in any catalog that I can see. It might be an end user modification. I wonder if the "X" is for the gap bed.

Comment

I'd suspect some pretty bad wear from 30 years of dry usage.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Maybe not. After all, how much useage does a poolroom give a lathe, an hour a week max is my guess.
              'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Eh, a lot of misinformation in this thread (eg- there was no large bore option for the 9" workshop), but SLK001 is leading you in the right direction. It is a 10K (light 10), all of which have the 1.5x8 spindle nose, but slightly larger bore than the 9". They all take 6K collets directly in the spindle. The special sauce on this one is the gap bed, which is probably the 'X' in the serial. That option includes other oddities like integral bed feet, and the 'extra' dovetail on the cross slide to get the tool closer to the chuck when the gap is in use.

Comment

Kitno455
                  Interesting comment and sounds totally reasonable

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
                    Eh, a lot of misinformation in this thread (eg- there was no large bore option for the 9" workshop), but SLK001 is leading you in the right direction. It is a 10K (light 10), all of which have the 1.5x8 spindle nose, but slightly larger bore than the 9". They all take 6K collets directly in the spindle. The special sauce on this one is the gap bed, which is probably the 'X' in the serial. That option includes other oddities like integral bed feet, and the 'extra' dovetail on the cross slide to get the tool closer to the chuck when the gap is in use.
                    FWIW there is a "9L" restored in the SBL group on PM:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...end-9l-250845/

And his restoration thread :https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ration-252299/

So I guess it *was* possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

FWIW there is a "9L" restored in the SBL group on PM:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...end-9l-250845/

And his restoration thread :https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ration-252299/

So I guess it *was* possible.
                      That is not a 9" Workshop. That is a 9L. Completely different lathe, more in common with the 10R and 10L (Heavy 10s)

allan

Comment

Working...
                      X