Lathe work, How do we find center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wtom View Post
    I wonder if you would tapered gears in a planetary drive. It might be the taper is from wear of the bore. Tom W
    NICE catch Tom!
    Looking at the picture of the machine I'm not seeing anyplace in the reduction gear train where a taper gear would seem appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wtom View Post
      I wonder if you would tapered gears in a planetary drive. It might be the taper is from wear of the bore. Tom W
      Possible, but the teeth look intentional, even if somewhat worn thin.

There is a case to be made for making a new gear (or 3), but not being there, dunno.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Appears there are sufficient Russel survivors to get information. They have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Russell-Ste...0281927665600/ with a load of pictures but I can't find any showing that particular gear.
        Couple pics make me wonder if that is the final driving the bullgear in the wheel.

Comment

The gear is an odd number of teeth and if the gear ratio it was running in was also odd it would tend to perfect the gear as it wears in, as opposed to wearing out. So the 3 jaw chuck ought to be able to center it up as good as it is likely to get even with the taper.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            You appear to have a raised boss just a touch inboard from the root of the teeth. I'd indicate off of that using an indicol or other holder for the indicator.

It looks like the hole is still pretty much in the center. You might start by centering over that and then check it against the boss.

Dan
            There doesn't appear to be much to that raised boss and it looks mostly to be a radius. Going to be tough to get an accurate indication of center off of it.
            An untouched surface would be the best bet. I'm thinking the root of the gear.
            Being cast and worn I doubt that any of the surfaces are concentric to any better than .005 and that would be pretty good for what it is.

JL..............

Comment

Take a piece of 6" aluminum bar and true up the outside. Bore the bar with a taper that matches the gear. Press the gear into the tapered hole (the gear has flats on the edge of the teeth that will register the gear perfectly). Mount the gear in the carrier in a 3-jaw and check to see if the face is planar with the spindle face. If it acceptable, then bore your new hole using light cuts. Press in a new bronze bearing and then bore to final fit.

Comment

I would modify that procedure to use a 4 jaw chuck and dial the od of carrier to 0 runout.

Comment

Working...
                X